As part of the plan to fight the cabin’s high level of noise there was another technique to help the crew to survive it: to mask the noise with a good stereo sound. I put together a nice system, not the best nor near it, just a good sound system, and the parts began to arrive from different sources. The first to arrive was the amplifier, heavy as hell. Good piece of metal, so heavy that it made me rethink on where to put it safely.
Then came the autoradio. I wanted a single DIN sized device as there was no more place in the central console. Also, our experience with the DVD player of the Montero told us so, as we never actually use the DVD, and the big screen is almost never deployed except for making adjustements every time the battery is disconnected. On the other hand, the smaller and humbler the radio, the less it drives the attention of the motherf….s burglars. It just needs to sound good.
Sometimes I used to take home some work, in order not to be at the workshop all the free time. Many pieces needed cleaning, simply water and soap cleaning, and so I took them with me and did the job at home while “living” with the family. Good.
It worked well on the front so I started to glue more alluminium stuff on the rear wall. The mechanics and customers of the shop passed by and invariabily asked why I was doing that after having put so much attention to detail when painting the cabin. The answer was the same: If you make it, make it perfect whatever it is. Of course, when you mess up, you have to do it perfectly too.
Anyway, the cutting and glueing went on until I was almost high with the solvents of the glue. I payed special attention to the angles and curves and to take out all the air bubbles I could when glueing the stuff to the metal. I made it in different steps, different days, depending on the time available.
In the meantime, Franz Air Conditioner came and we discussed about the layout of the system to be mounted on the truck. He suddenly realized that there was a major problem and it was not possible to get it working well the way I had planned it. After a brief discussion, pointing to look for a suitable alternative, he left, promising to have a good solution for the problem sooner than later. It was all about the way the air, fresh and filtrated, was supposed to be managed by the device.
When everybody else left, the case of the fan and the evaporator remained, alone and disappointed, in its previously supposed place under the dashboard. I felt disappointed myself too.
Anyway, I went on and made a try to get everything ready for putting the front suspension of the cabin. In the end I left it for the last moment as it was necessary to mount all the components at once when the cabin was ready to get back on the frame, and for that it was still too early in time.
Many and different parts of the new cabin interior kept coming. The new front speakers, powerful enough to stand the amplifier work, arrived when I was at work. Heavy also them, they would be hosted by the new central console so there would be no fixing problems with them.
The rear speakers were already at home, and they were pretty big and powerfull and heavy too. I got them many years ago when I had the Nissan Terrano but they were so big that I could never install them, so they remained in their box since… say 2009.
The original plan was to modify and reinforce the lining of the back wall of the cabin with epoxy and fiberglass and to build-in strong points to fix the amplifier and the speakers, but it was obvious that it was too much weight and inertial strength for the lining to stand, so I finally decided to go back to basics and to use the original metallic tray of the truck to host and hold the amplifier and the big speakers. The tray was built pretty tough and it was in very good shape. Problem solved.