Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

Moderator: Moderatoren

Nachricht
Autor
pairospam
süchtig

Re: Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

#331 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-03 18:38:02

I put on the springs on that side also and the U brackets and the plates followed, but I could not find the conic washers to tighten them. I made a naked attempt but I did not like it at all so I had no option but to go out to buy some new ones, wich I never like as it interrupts the work. But, as always, something told me not to go out at that moment and look for local solutions.

A few minutes after I found the old wheel nuts of Spare in a box, with conic washers included. As you know, the project itself is about to recycle everything to restore the truck, so a little cutting and grinding and cleaning and there were four “new” washers for the U brackets of the left side of the Merkabah.

I was worried since a few months about the design of the front pivot of the Box because there was a potential conflict between the support and the superior aspect of the gearbox. I finally came up with a compromise between all the factors to consider, and this was a five point pivoting system, with one on the most anterior aspect before the gearbox and the other behind the gearbox. The extra support would also help to better manage the weight of the water tanks located in the front of the Box, even if the support would be a simpler and less robust one.

Of course, modifying the design of the supporting pivots meant to modify the measures and location of the components of the base panel of the Box, pretty slow and boring job. In the end, though, the idea was not a bad one and it would probably stand in time IF the system with pivots overcome the dynamic tests when the truck preparation was finished.

Back at the shop again I looked for the metallic brackets of the air tanks that I knew were in there, somewhere, waiting for their turn to show up. When found, not all were in good shape, especially those from the Merkabah, but good enough to recycle.

I improvised a test bank using the little air tanks and all the measures were the correct ones for the supports.

And, one day, after more than a week of servicing and many extra jobs on Le Camion, the Itinerrants from Belgium were ready to continue with its itinerrance. The little girls got a wool ticketed present from Carmen and they gifted us with lots of designs and memories scribbled on many paper sheets, and left us with a tiny crack in our hearts. Who knows when we will meet again, and where.

Eduardo and Benoît made a last minute check out and found that the auxiliary fuel pump, already repaired, was malfunctioning again so, after a few hugs and hand shakings, they all left for the shop to fix the pump aboard the big DOKA MAN. After a while the travellers pointed north to Vicuña, where our friend René Larraguibel and Karen waited to offer them the hospitality of the Elqui river valley.
Dateianhänge
2159.JPG
2160.jpg
2161.JPG
2162.JPG
2163.JPG
2164.JPG
2165.JPG
2166.JPG
2167.JPG
2168.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#332 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-03 18:46:36

I went on with the planning of the modification and stretching of the air spring supports as discussed earlier. I was not pretty happy of having to take the supports out, cut the pieces, weld them, clean and paint them and put them back again. But life is hard, especially when you think you are making it simpler.

The issue of the pivoting system and the air tanks was solved, at least for the moment, but I was still waiting for the rear sway bar to be repaired for welding it to the third axle. Without the sway bar I could not assemble the hubs, the brakes and the wheels. Bad.

Well, at some point I took out the supports for the air springs and profited to mark and drill the holes on the frame for the air tanks supports. When finished, some time later, I took the brackets and cleaned them. I had to repair one of them that had been broken, welded, broken again and welded again, so I broke it and welded it for the third time waiting, as usual, that this was the last time.

Then I took out of the shop the big air tanks and washed them thoroughly trying to reduce the amount of dirt that covered them, with not much success, though. While they were drying up I displayed the recently finished pieces and gave them many hands of wasprimer and primer. It felt good when the air tank supports fabrication affaire was over.
Dateianhänge
2169.jpg
2170.jpg
2171.JPG
2172.JPG
2173.JPG
2174.JPG
2175.JPG
2176.JPG
2177.JPG
2178.JPG

pairospam
süchtig

#333 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 4:19:09

Well, some news after a few weeks of silence. I have been working pretty hard with not much time to write.

I had just finished the priming of the supports and the brackets of the air tanks and I had washed the tanks when I stopped, right?

Bild

Once the air tanks were dry I took them in again and inspected them without the crust of dust and dry mud. I realized that thirty years of neglect had damaged the surface exposed to the dirt cumulated between both tanks and corroded it in a way that it would be hard to clean. I would need a powergrinder with less RPM so the metal cup brushes could last and the filaments would not end inlaid on the skin of my thigh.

Bild

Eduardo and I brang all the stuff to the cattle again and what was left of the frame of Spare was one more time amputated as official donor for the project. It was easier to cut the frame than finding it under the dirt and old leaves under which it was. We took the piece to the shop the next day and I marked it as precisely as possible.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Unfortunately, after almost two weeks, the spring saddle began to leak. But its fate was sealed and it would stay like this for the eternity; I had no intention of disassembling and making any other attempt to stop the leaking. I would check the oil level from time to time and that was all. I was really upset, but after a Darjeeling cup my anger subsided... a little.

Bild

The next day I went to the store to get the polisher/grinder. There were only two options, one of which was of the known chinese brand that deserved no discussion, so the choice was easy and I took the USA brand, made in China, of course. I had a lot to do that afternoon so I could not use it and had to leave it for the next day. And so it was.

Bild

Handling the new powertool at very “slow” 1000 rpm, very smoothly and without the vibrations and the many kilograms of the big Makita, I started to clean old paint, dust and rust from the first of the big air tanks. I did not want to peel the steel everywhere; the paint that withstood the brushing could last a little longer, especially if covered by many hands of washprimer, primer and new paint.

I had to use the laminated sand paper disc also, even if I did not want it, but the result was satisfactory.

Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#334 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 4:37:19

Once I finished the second tank, after many hours of labor and a lot of dust and rust fogging the shop, I put both clean tanks in place and the idea got shape. The height of the tanks allowed the free oscillation of the axle bellow and also to place the Box a few centimeters above.

Bild
Bild

The third of the tanks was one of Spare’s, and had many layers of paint, rustproofing, and some black thing that looked like tar. All this slowed hardly my efforts and forced me to use a lot the powergrinder. The dust cloud was huge, but fortunately I was alone in the Saturday afternoon. Naturely, I did not get to finish so the labor would have to continue the next week.

Bild

To speak of other things, I can tell you that I went back and forth with the design of the Box like a woman changes mind in a shoes store (or worst), changing this and that and then changing it all again. Well, I finally decided where to put the roof windows and opened the front panel for the bridge to the cabin. I also abandoned the idea of gas for cooking and water heating; too many types of regulators, erogators and gas mixtures just in South America, immagine all over the world. That was the reason for increasing the battery bank capacity; everything had to be driven by electricity.

Bild
Bild

I corrected many little mistakes on the seats/bed and changed also the dimensions and location of the freshwater tanks, thinking on the simplicity for building and repairing/replacing as my first concern.

Bild
Bild

I labored on the cabinet that would accommodate the microwave. I thought about the problem of condensation and passive and power ventilation, with a few thoughts also for the plumbing and the electricity.

Bild
Bild
Bild

Why to put the microwave in the middle of the cabinets with clothing and domestic junk? Well, at first because I wanted to put a big freezer-refrigerator aside the sink and there was no more room on that side of the Merkabah. Then, because I liked the look of it. With time, the idea of the big refrigerator changed, as did almost everything.

pairospam
süchtig

#335 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 4:49:27

What also changed was the side where the shower and the W.C. would be, wich I inverted for the black waters to go directly to the black water tank on the right side over the wheels, and the water from the shower and the sink to go in the grey water tank on the left side.

Bild
Bild

That Monday, before I came to the workshop, Eduardo called me and warned me that it would be strictly forbidden to throw any dust in the afternoon because a couple of automatic transmisions would be assembled. I found the request/order more than reasonable.

As there was a lot to do I took the powergrinder and started to cut the piece of frame rescued from the oblivion to get the pieces for the supports of the air springs. I cut and cut until I ran out of discs and had to go out to buy some more. I profited the ride to see how the rear sway bar repair issue was going. Everybody told me that, without any doubt this week it would be ready. Just a matter of trust, I thought.

Bild
Bild

I got back to the shop a little late so I cut just a little more before I received some nice criticisms because of the hour. I did not cut all the pieces, but at least I did something.

Going on with the non-existing working plan, the next day I completed the cutting and the marking of the pieces of steel and began to prepare them for assembling. Under the action of the laminated sand paper disc lots of different and ancient layers of paint and primers and stuff showed up like a rusted rainbow. The most important thing, other than cleaning the aspects that would be difficult to reach once the whole thing would be assembled, was to bevel the borders of the pieces for the welding to penetrate well and the union be solid.

Bild

After a few hours the pieces were ready and then I could began the assembling of the “new” supports. Once presented, all the components made sense. I felt a little disappointed because of the “excessive” time required to fabricate any piece or component. It was incredibly slow, but what the hell.

Bild

I only had time that afternoon to pinprick one of the supports and, for a change, it was late again. I marked pretty clearly all the single pieces and their location respect to each other so not to confuse myself the next session, as it would be a real mess to repair any error afterwards.

Bild

The next day I only got to pinprick the other three supports and I had to go out in a hurry. No time for more.

Bild

I went to the store just after my working day was over to look for a blowtorch in order to follow the advice of my friend Verardo, the owner of the machine shop, who recommended to heat up the steel before welding to avoid crackings and micro fissures on those pretty cold days. I had already saw that they did this, especially at the shipyards, but the idiot had never applied the same on my own weldings because it was almost always warm.

I went back and forth through the different models for some time and finally I bought a simple gas blowtorch and then got a five kg. tank on the way to the shop. Good.

Bild

In the beginning it was pretty boring to be there hanging the torch heating up the pieces, but the difference with the “cold” welding turned to be quiet notorious.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#336 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 5:00:21

As always, after a recess of welding, the hand was a little shaky but a few minutes later the welding was solid and smooth. I was counceiled also by a client of the shop that introduced himself as a very experienced and qualified welder, and his tips were very precise and usefull.

Bild
Bild

I decided to weld with the MIG instead of using the arc welder because the steel of the supports had been heated enough with the primary welding, and I did not want to weaken it even more. MIG was okay and, frankly, I liked the result.

As you can see from the pictures I did not filled up many of the holes that the new pieces had, also for the temperature consideration and because they could be used to fix stuff or other purposes.

Bild

I had the pretty bad idea to go back to the tools store accompanied by my wife to buy some little things and, suddenly, I was assaulted by the newborn urgent necessity of having a cordless powerdrill. Of course I would need one when the time came, but not at that moment. The odd thing is that I looked at the ones that were on display and, under the tough insistence of Carmen, I bought the more powerfull and expensive one. It was of the German known proven brand that I like so much, made in Malaysia, of course. Nice little toy. I haven’t used it yet. Why are we, men, so stupid sometimes? I said “we” because now I know that I am not the only one who has done the same thing.

Bild

Well, after all the weldings were ready the task was to reduce all the cords and to clean all the surfaces, so go with the powergrinder. After a few hours the supports were ready. The only detail remaining was to drill a hole big enough to allow the rivets of the rear frame to go through the extended vertical plate.

Bild
Bild

I presented the supports and marked where to drill the holes on the frame, and then it was time to go home, again. Before I left I put on one of the air springs just to make sure that there was not conflict with the support or with the bolts, for the tenth time.

Bild
Bild
Bild

Early in the afternoon I passed by Verardo’s machine shop to see if there were progresses with the sway bar, and they were, but the concept of repairing of the guys was pretty different from what we agreed originally. It would be necessary to do more modifications and adjustments before being able to say that it was repaired and I had my doubts about the worthiness of it all.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#337 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 5:11:39

The turner and the welder were not happy neither because the pieces were pretty hard and they had ruined some bits already.

Bild

The rest of the afternoon I stayed at the shop drilling the eight new holes on the frame using the same old drill tips sharpened by the skillfull hand of Juan Orrego, a technician from my job place. At each millimeter of advance I stopped to lubricate and to allow for cooling of the tips so it took me several hours to finish, but in the end the tips were intact. The problem was that I had not a proper powerdrill nor a proper tip to drill the holes for the rivets.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I just changed clothes at the shop the following day and I went to the machine shop. Dressed like one of the workers, I wanted to help (and put some pressure) with the sway bar issue because I saw not a single happy face the other day. I took the grinder and after a few seconds it started to make some strange noises and some sparks came out from the outlets. Verardo and I disassembled it and found that the bearing was dead so he went out to buy a new one and then we assembled it again, but all that made me loose at least one hour of working time. While I was wating for Verardo to come back with the spare I wandered around the waste corner of the shop and I found many kind of pieces that would be very usefull for the project. My friend had no problem and offered me whatever I could need or want, I just needed the right vehicle to carry the pieces out and a place to store them. Good.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I also profited of the machines and the good mood of the people and drilled the 22 mm. holes in the vertical plate of the supports in conflict with the rivets. I love big industrial powertools.

Once the grinder was repaired I was for some time enlarging the hole of the bushing for the sway bar. The idea was to turn a new metallic bushing to put into the enlarged hole and weld it to the steel of the support, same as it had been planned on the other side, and suddenly I realized it was nonsense. It should be easier to fabricate a new support and not to deal with all this grinding, adjusting and welding a piece wich would be used only partialy anyway. I asked Verardo his opinion and he agreed absolutely and told me that he would do a template to cut the necessary steel pieces the next day. The simpler the better.

Bild

I brang the already repaired struts of the sway bar with me to the shop. I was still afraid that they were too short, but it seemed not to be the case.

Bild

I did not go to Verardo’s shop the next day but I dedicated myself to the delayed cleaning of the air tanks. When I judged that the third of them was clean enough I put it on the frame of the Merkabah to see how it looked and to take it away from the middle of the working place. Then I did the same with the last tank but I could not finish because of the hour. Before leaving I verified that the holes of the supports fitted well with the rivets. It seemed that the thing was going on.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#338 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 5:36:04

A couple of days passed before I could go back to the workshop to work on the truck, I did not remember why, but when I could I finished the cleaning of the last of the big air tanks and put it in place aside the other three. The amount of tecalan hoses would be monstruous, I thought, but they would all be fixed and orderly displayed in ad hoc supports.

Bild
Bild

After the measurements and the pictures of rule I took all the things out and displayed them for printing. I only reached to apply two hands of washprimer before it was time to leave.

Bild
Bild
Bild

The next day it was too cold for priming so I decided to speed up a little the work at the machine shop, and it ended to be a very good decision. The pieces for the new supports were already cut and it was just a matter of assembling them, as someone said carelessly. Well, the job of “assembling” ended up being much more difficult and time consuming than I could ever think, as every single thing in this project.

Bild

Firstly I put some pinprick weldings to drill the “ears” in couples, then the boys showed me how to use the drilling machines and, pretty slowly and carefully, I drilled the steel. I had to use both the two drills as the regular work of the shop required of them alternatively. It was bloody cold but with all the efforts and the security gear I sweated a lot.

Bild
Bild
Bild

When the working day was about to finish, exactly 30 second before the power was automatically shut down, I finished the second pair of pieces. It was also more difficult and slow because Verardo made them from T1, a harder steel especially for making bushings but more difficult to work with.

Bild

The turner said that he would mill the base of the pieces to make them even to place and weld them to the base plate the next day. With that feeling, after a good chat with Verardo, I went to pick Carmen and then, directly, to the shower.

pairospam
süchtig

#339 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 5:46:59

When I called to ask if the turner had done what he promised the day before the answer was a clear no, so I went to the workshop to see if I could go on with something else. It was cold again so not a chance for priming. Christ, I really wanted to make some progress but there was always something to finish or complete before!

Well, I decided then to continue developing the ideas for the rear part of the truck. I wanted that, when I could assemble the bogie, the picture was complete. So I picked one big, heavy box and took out one of the 20.000 lb. winches for the first time since I bought them who remembers how many months before. Oh, really heavy stuff! The roller fairlead was independent of the winch itself so it would need a support or something to be bolt to, hmm… I measured the device and the parts in order to make a good 3D reproduction and I did the same with the modified tail of the frame.

Bild
Bild

Later, at home, I drew the tray that would be the platform for the winch. For the laterals I would use scrap from the rest of the frame of Spare, but I wanted something tougher for the base plate, something in 8 mm. The location had to maintain the 45 degrees of the departure angle and at the same time use the holes already present on the frame. The tray would serve as well as the base for the pivoting rear bumper, and all the sketches and calculations fitted perfectly.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I know…I know… the rear bumper issue would be a long story on its own. Anyway…

As I was at it, I corrected the design of the supports of the sway bar and also the rear shock absorbers, which were eliminated and replaced by the actual design of those I wanted to put on the Merkabah, same as those that went on Finca and on Le Camion.The front shocks were also replaced as were many other little things according to the illumination state of the subscriber, until I hit the screen of the laptop with the forehead, tumbling asleep.

Bild
Bild

I went back to the machine shop and Pimentel, the turner, could not avoid my presence and insistence so he could do no more than go on with the Merkabah’s pain. We made a lot of pirouettes to turn the recess for the rubber washer of the shock absorbers, faithfull replica of the original supports, but we could not finish both support plates that day and we continued the next one in the afternoon.

Once we finished, the press operator heated up the plates and bent them 15 degrees. His goniometer looked not pretty solid but it ended up being very precise.

Bild
Bild

When the baseplates were finished I grinded the drill holes to let the pin pass through the “ears” without much difficulty, and finally aligned them on the baseplates.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#340 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 5:55:07

As it was not really my place I just pinpricked the pieces and asked the welder to weld them seriously. He made me heat the pieces up with the torch for some moments and then he worked with the MIG with 1,2 mm. electrode (mine is ,8 mm.). The result was pretty satisfactory and, of course, a few moments later the power was shut down for everyone to go home. The supports were still bloody hot when I left them on the workbench.

Bild

The next day the turner not even looked at me when I showed up at the machine shop. He had promised that he would turn the plastic bushings for the sway bar once I welded the pieces of the supports, so he dropped what he was doing and began to turn and turn, leaving a lot of plastic yellow shavings on the ground. I had to dedicate myself to grind again the drill holes of the ears because there had been some deformation with the welding, minimal but enough to impede the pin pass to enter.

Bild

While Pimentel was at work, turning each different bushing with different measures depending on the side and on wich arm of the sway bar, I went to poke around the discarded material and I found a half rusted steel plate 8 mm thick with a myriad of tiny holes on it. It was a T1 plate that was around for the last few years, with no use at sight. Verardo did not think it twice and donated it to the project so I asked the cutter if he could cut a piece of it after I maked it, and for answer he just passed me a piece of chalk. He adjusted the pantograph and with a couple of torchblowings he cut the perfect base plate for the tray of the winch, with just one little drill hole in the middle. Coincidences do not exist.

Bild
Bild

Well, the turner did not finish the bushings that day, so I loaded the steel plate on the Montero and went back to Eduardo’s shop to mess with the winch again. I measured and marked where to drill the mounting holes and I grinded the edges to make them even and smooth. I think I even saw my name written on the plate.

Bild

The turner completed his job without me going after him the next morning so I just picked up the sway bar and the supports from the machine shop and put them on the Montero to get them back to the workshop after many months of neglect and pain. I could hardly wait to weld all to the axles! When I asked Verardo about the bill he looked at me with his typical enigmatical smile and told me: We’ll see later! - Great guy, Verardo.

Bild

Of course, welding the supports was not going to be as easy as to say it, because there were many things to do before. Some pieces of wire held the heavy steel bar in place while aligning and marking the pieces. Then, a few cuts and grinding, beveling and finally a little polishing of the supports.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Zuletzt geändert von pairospam am 2013-07-23 4:55:45, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

pairospam
süchtig

#341 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-22 6:13:47

I fixed the supports with some weld pinpricks and then I had to leave as the time had passed and there were some hungry faces looking around. It felt like I had made huge progresses in the last few days. Good.

Bild

When I came back to the shop I prepared everything very calmly to avoid making the typical errors of hurrying. I checked it all and found that the supports were a little inclined but nothing too significant so I went on. I also noted that, even if the steel was thick, the lever would be brutal; it would need a reinforcement for me to feel sure and relaxed. I tried with a little fin on the inferior face but it did not convinced me so I decided to put simple squares on each side, welded also to the superior piece of the axle bracket. I had no intention of disassembling the bracket so if it became a solid piece I did not care at all. Yes. And then, to cut the little pieces.

I prepared the little arc welding machine and left a lot of 70/18 electrodes at hand. Then, blowtorch in hand, I heated up the steel until I felt it all was warm enough. The rest was heat and sparks, and I really liked how it sticked and looked. Welding downside up is always tricky but the welding of the inferior face of the suports was not bad in the end, though hard to perform.

Bild
Bild
Bild

When the pieces cooled down I cleaned and polished them again. I was very happy, as you can imagine, and with that feeling I left because I needed to care of the job that maybe makes me not as happy but gives me the funds to play with the truck.

And, finally, there was a sunny day in San Felipe, so I dedicated the first part of the next afternoon to priming, starting with a couple of hands of washprimer on the new pieces and then one hand of primer applied to all the pieces that were left unconcluded many days before. I had to sweep, brush and powerblow everything before starting, of course.

Bild
Bild
Bild

As that particular day there was a lot of work to do on the workshop and the people were going to do late I profitted of the circumstances and went on with the tray for the rear winch. I had taken a couple of discarded L profiles from the machine shop before and with them I made the support for the roller fairlead. The fact that it came separated from the winch was actually a good thing because the bolted support would make more difficult for anyone to steal the winch.

Bild
Bild

I adopted as a rule to heat up the pieces before welding, even if it was warm, because the difference was truly noticeable. Even the sound of the welding changes when the steel is hot, and the risk of micro fractures is quiet lower.

I ended up with the support pretty late, but fortunately the guys of the shop finished their jobs at the same time. Carmen invited me to dinner out. Everything was perfect on that long but pretty productive day.

Bild
Bild

Uwe
Forenteam

#342 Beitrag von Uwe » 2013-07-22 7:22:06

Hi,

lots of work...

Considering the air tanks, two comments:

- I would have used a single mount for each tank to deter one tank from rubbing the other. Sand and dirt getting there during operation will be quite abrasive.

- rusty as they were, have you checked it from the inside? Nothing as bad as rust particles from the tank contaminating all the air valves.

Cheers
Uwe
Sa construction rustique permet de le confier aux mains les plus inexpertes.
-------------------------------------------
Shit. - What? - Rollers... - No. - Yeah. - Shit.

Slarti
Schlammschipper

#343 Beitrag von Slarti » 2013-07-22 12:27:46

Hallo Pairoa,

großartig, was Du geschafft hast. Es geht doch wirklich voran.

One comment though: I think I saw the tanks for grey and black water being just flat wide areas under the cabin, is this correct?
If so, consider the amount of water moving and applying force when braking, turning or going off-road. It will considerably move the cabin and with it the cabin supports. In tanks you normally use holey sections (Schwallbleche) to control this behaviour a little - but for the large area this will be a lot of material (and weight).

edit: I now see, there are two presumably plastic tanks under the benches. Freshwater and grey?
edit 2: Ah, three tanks. But if the freshwater tank is the one without the inclination on top of the black water tank, isn't it a bit small? Another thought: You will pump all the water from toilet and shower into the waste tanks (they are higher than the bottom of shower and toilet)?

All the best.

Cheers, Hajo
Zuletzt geändert von Slarti am 2013-07-22 22:51:31, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Pirx
Säule des Forums

#344 Beitrag von Pirx » 2013-07-22 21:54:58

pairospam hat geschrieben:I also abandoned the idea of gas for cooking and water heating; too many types of regulators, erogators and gas mixtures just in South America, immagine all over the world. That was the reason for increasing the battery bank capacity; everything had to be driven by electricity.
Hello Pairoa!

Egon (his nickname is "egn") is also using electric power only. If you encounter any special problems with that concept, I am sure he can help you.

Pirx
Der mit der Zweigangachse: 15 Vorwärtsgänge, 3 Rückwärtsgänge, Split, Schnellgang, Differentialsperre
---
"Immer bedenken: Hilfe ist keine Einbahnstrasse, Geholfen-Werden ist kein Recht und es liegt an jedem selbst, inwieweit er sich hier in der Gemeinschaft (die im Extremfall so einiges gemeinsam schafft) involviert und einbringt."
Ein Unimog-Fahrer.

Slarti
Schlammschipper

#345 Beitrag von Slarti » 2013-07-22 22:43:07

Pirx hat geschrieben: "Für manchen Automobilisten sind Elektrizität und Verzweiflung gleichbedeutende Begriffe."
Hallo Pirx,

das Zitat ist aber nicht sehr nett, wenn Du ihm gleichzeitig einen Ratgeber für seine elektrische Lösung empfiehlst... :happy:

Gruß, Hajo

a90
infiziert

Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

#346 Beitrag von a90 » 2013-07-23 0:58:32

Very nice update again ! Thanks for taking the time for writing it down and share it with us.

Can I ask what software you use for those 3D drawings ?

Keep up the good work!

pairospam
süchtig

#347 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-23 5:31:48

Hallo guys.

@ Uwe: The tanks are not in contact, there is a plastic separator between each other as you can see on the next picture.

Bild

No tank had rust or foreign bodies inside, just a fine covering of oil. One of the little tanks had some like half a liter of water but it seems that the oil protects pretty well the interior from rusting.

@ Hajo: The three blue water tanks are fresh water tanks, the one on top for potabilized water (heavy three stages filtration and chlorination), the other two for receiving water from whatever source. The trapezoid tanks under the Box over the rear wheels are for grey water (left side) and black water (right side). They will be filled up by gravity and their capacity is near 70 liters each.

Edit: all the tanks will have interior wave-brakers. Each of the exterior tanks will have exactly capacity for 97 liters .

@ Pirx: I will surely need advices and hands-on experience with the electricity, thanks.

@ a90: I use Sketchup, from Google. It is not worth to get the Pro edition; enough with the free one (at least for me).

Many thanks for your comments and your time. More to come soon.

Cheers.

Pairoa

pairospam
süchtig

#348 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-26 6:12:31

The next working time I had two goals: to apply a second hand of primer to the tanks and to drill the mounting holes on the base plate and on the support of the roller fairlead. I enjoyed spraying primer but God, I really hate drilling! Well, I did it anyway. I spent the whole afternoon at that.

Bild
Bild

I went to the shop at lunch time to look for some tools and found Dakar sitting very comfortably on the roof of the Merkabah. He came one day, a couple of months ago, lost, afraid and alone, and the people there adopted him immediately. Two nights after he chased out a couple of thieves that wanted to break into the shop through the front windows. Coincidences do not exist, remember? The little but fierce dog earned his site so he can sit on the roof or wherever he wants, whenever he wants.

Bild

Well, the sway bar was still greasy and dirty so I gave it the classic treatment. I then put it on its supports and went on with the installation of the supports for the struts on the frame. The height of the horizontal portion o fthe bar was ideal, with a slight inclination to keep the departure angle. The challenge was the mounting of the supports.

Bild

The supports had many threaded mounting holes that allowed to mount them in different positions, but the problem was that just one of the holes was useful and there was no other that coincided with the holes on the frame. To drill more holes on the frame rail would have contravened the specific directions of the maker on the subject and, even if it was reinforced by the auxiliary frame rail, I wanted not to take any risk of breakage.

Bild

As there is always a way out for everything, the frame rail had the original mounting holes on the inferior wing so I decided to use them and to modify the supports instead of drilling. I planned to weld a perpendicular plate to the support and then the forces would be managed by the plate and the only one bolt to the vertical part of the rail. Enough, but I had to be sure of doing a pretty good welding.

Bild

With that plan I went home, hoping the weekend to bring some rain and quiet, but it did not.

As there was finally not rain (at all) I went to the cattle and took another piece from the abated frame of Spare. I needed steel to finish the winch tray. There were no tears, but I really felt sorry for the remains of the former colleague of the Merkabah.

Bild

I had dedicated myself heart and soul to the project for many days and, even if I also gave some time to Deva, the recently adopted German Sheperd, it seems that for the dog was not enough and she made her point pretty clear destroying the coverings of the Africa Twin and the Terrano. I would have to take her to run more often to burn energies, but my left ankle was still not in shape for long or frequent runnings. Hmm…

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#349 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-26 6:23:07

Back at the shop Monday afternoon I cleaned carefully the inner face of the supports, cut and drilled the steel plates and pinpricked them in situ to keep the right position of the ensembles. Then I heated the steel up, a lot, and put many 70/18 electrodes on the job, welding also a perpendicular piece to stabilize the union. Good, but it was pretty late when I ended, for a change.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

A couple of days later I continued the work and cleaned the supports completely, including the threads that could still be useful, who knows what for or when. The struts followed but they took more time because of the shape and the differents components. Note that Pimentel preserved the original plastic bushing and turned a plastic sleeve to adjust it to the worn hole of the strut. Pretty good job.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I did not get to finish not even one of the struts that day, but at least the supports were ready. Looking at them I found that the solution was pretty dependable… we would see.

Bild

In the meantime, the last arrived piece of frame stood still in silence with resignation, waiting for its own turn.

Bild

Lassie
Allrad-Philosoph

#350 Beitrag von Lassie » 2013-07-26 8:18:43

I had dedicated myself heart and soul to the project for many days
Wow, big kudo to your dedication!
I assume I would have burned the whole project, sold all metal pieces to the scrap dealer and would have started looking in buying a new truck! ;)

My yogateacher told me once the mantra for all men:

KEEP UP !!!

:positiv:

BTW: nice dog!

Best regards
Juergen
....down-sizing vom U1300L zum U100L Turbo:

Die höchste Form des Glücks ist ein Leben mit einem gewissen Grad an Verrücktheit.
Erasmus von Rotterdam

pairospam
süchtig

#351 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-31 16:05:59

Hello:

Thanks, Juergen. Believe it or not, I have never thought about quiting... still, sometimes...

Well, not pretty much to say or show but the work has been hard though I had very little time, but I managed to finish the cleaning of the struts for priming, but they would have to wait until the winch tray was ready to paint all at once.

Bild

Then I took the new piece of frame and struggled a little to separate the main from the auxiliary rails, bonded together by inescrupulous ancient weldings, and marked it to cut the lateral parts of the tray.

As I marked it by heart from what I remembered been designed on the model I made some mistakes and I missed for 15 millimeters extra on the height of the pieces. I realized that I was really obsessed when I was preparing everything to cut those millimeters, wich made no sense because the difference was completely negligeable and it would have consumed time and one disc almost completely. WTF… it would remain as it was.

Bild

Before cleaning and leaving I put the pieces in position to organize ideas as the tray had to be built tough enough to withstand the forces that the use of the winch would demand, if it was ever used.

Bild

During some periods of very few productive activities I gave some thoughts to the batteries issue. The original idea was about four deep cycle batteries for domestic use and the two batteries for the truck, all put together in the same locker bolted to the frame on the left side behind the cabin. The new plan was of eight batteries plus the other two for the truck. It was not possible to recycle the battery trays from the Merkabah and from Spare because I needed more space, so I designed a cage made with steel L profiles, as simple and robust as it could be to handle the 500 kg and more that all the batteries might weight.

Bild
Bild

I could have accommodate even nine 105Amp batteries of the same model I already had, but I was trying to get other 170Amp batteries of the same make and model, and they were taller and heavier so better be conservative and keep the number as initially thought. It is really fantastic to play and try things before even touching them!

By the way, the cage is shown without the diagonal reinforcements, I mean… for those who care about the strength of the invention.

Bild

As the investment in batteries would be not minor I decided to change the design of the locker for one that could offer the less possibilities for them to be stolen. The “cover” would be in the inner part and the container skin, made of 3 mm steel or alluminium, would be removed as a whole, like a five-sided cube, and would be bolted to the cage by four or six Allen or star bolts. Besides, it would have two heavy duty key-locks.

Fixing the locker to the frame would also be a challenging matter because I would need a series of custom tailored profiles to deal with the bending of the frame at that part of the truck. A pretty similar layout would be used for the generator locker. There was still a lot of things to deal with.

Bild
Bild

I rescued a long piece from the wing of the rail frame and cut the extremes at 45° and did the same with the laterals of the tray to create a solid union.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#352 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-31 16:17:27

Tough enough. To complete the idea and reinforce the inferior and lateral aspects of the front of the tray I cut some other pieces to weld to it. The back part would remain wide open for easier operation and servicing of the winch itself.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I fought the teptation of welding immediately but common sense ruled out and I dismantled the ensemble and began to clean and prepare each piece, at least the aspect that would be hidden or difficult to reach once welded and assembled. Again, time passed and I did not get to finish.

Bild

Sunday was another working day for me as I had to replace my colleague in his winter holydays and I had had not much time to work on the project during the week. Once all the pieces were clean enough I assembled the tray again and pinpricked the pieces together. I liked pretty much the penetration and the look of the welding with the MIG at full power so I kept on welding with the machine, and the tray became pretty tough, and heavy too.

Bild

I welded on until every piece was stuck in place. Fortunaley I burned myself only once that time. Then, I grinded all the annoying cordons and, with a big effort, put the tray in place.

The truth is that I found the gadget a little bulkier and uglier than seen on the 3D model, but it surely was just a trick of the eye because the rear lacked of the wheels and everything to balance the almost naked frame.

Bild
Bild

To drill the mounting holes on the tray was the next to do, and I wanted to mark them directly to minimize errors, but that would have to wait as the lunch, though late, was prioritary.

And it was Monday, again. Time do not only pass, it actually flies away! I spent the whole afternoon at the shop, as almost always, and I selected a piece of the auxiliary frame in 4 mm steel to cut a cover for the frontal aspect of the tray; that way the winch would be protected from the stones, the sand, the water or whatever on the road, at least from going directly into it. At the same time the lighter cover would help reduce the total weight of the tray once finished (really appreciated).

I drilled the necessary holes for the mounting bolts and for the cover and then cleaned and powerbrushed the whole thing. Clouds of rust and old paint, again. It was not fun nor quick, but someone had to do it.

Bild
Bild

When the job was done, I really wanted to paint it all, but then I remembered that the superior support for the shock absorbers was not even drawn in a piece of paper. It had to be fabricated and put on before painting and mounting the rest. Hmm…

Slarti
Schlammschipper

#353 Beitrag von Slarti » 2013-07-31 16:52:27

Hi there, Pairoa

If I understood correct, you plan to have a box on the left side (batteries) and a box on the right side (generator). In my car, there are footboards under each side of the cabin which are fastened with L-profiles to the frame. To get some stabilization, there is tow rods (one to the front and one to the rear of the footboards) underneath the frame to connect and counterballance the forces in the footboards when one stands on the edge.
I would think something similiar would be good for distributing the weight of your batteries.

I personally would not - with that much batteries planned - put all in one place. Perhaps 2 starter (vehicle) batteries could go (one over the other) in the box with the generator. In winter they would be warmed when you run the generator for microwaving your morning coffee milk :huh: :happy: and help cranking the motor with good power...

And of course you will have to mount a strong power generator (or two, seperate ones for vehicle and for domestic power) for charging these masses of batteries... 9 x 105 Ah + 2x 110 Ah for the truck = ca. 1200 Ah all have to be loaded (say you want to replace 10% charge during 2h of driving) -> 60A with 13,8V = 828 Watts. Perhaps this is the wrong way to calculate...somebody may correct me, please.

Also to consider: How to lift the large batteries (44 kg each) into their place inside the rack...and how will you fix them in place?

Aber nichtsdestotrotz: Weiter so! :rock:

Gruß, Hajo

edit: looked up the weight of 170Ah batteries

pairospam
süchtig

#354 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-07-31 20:00:04

"I personally would not - with that much batteries planned - put all in one place. Perhaps 2 starter (vehicle) batteries could go (one over the other) in the box with the generator. In winter they would be warmed when you run the generator for microwaving your morning coffee milk and help cranking the motor with good power..."

Hajo:

You are absolutelly right; there is no need for the batteries of the truck to go with the domestic batteries, but that's why I write here... to have an outsider and fresher look.

On the opposite side of the batteries goes the 530 liters diesel tank, and the generator locker is placed behind the batteries. The weight balance is okay but some connecting rods could be of help, no doubt.

The batteries weight 50 kg each (170Ah), and there is no big problem in handling them (well, not very much). They can be placed easily in the tray as they are made to fit as one block and secured with metallic straps bolted to the tray.

The big thing about having a powerful battery bank is that you use it a lot and the power decreases very slowly. I want to put a 4000W generator or at least 3500W and put 500W minimum of solar power to deal with the charging. I did the maths long ago and forgot; I am not completely sure but it seems to make sense as I remember it.

Many thanks for your comments! I will work on it.

Cheers.

Pairoa

unfug
infiziert

#355 Beitrag von unfug » 2013-08-03 17:43:38

I think with the batteries fixed in that direction the batteries are the limitation for going through water and rivers - even if you plan to build it waterproof, you never know what happens while travelling and going through water with a damaged batterie rack (or driving through a big wet spot on a bad road) may damage a lot of the batteries with the risk of loosing the possibility to loose a lot of functions of your car.

Look here, they also have a lot of batterie power, but inside their "koffer".

klick

pairospam
süchtig

#356 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-08-21 5:03:47

Hallo:

Well, I am a Little late with the updates but I will do my best for everything to make sense.

First of all, I really loved Peter’s 6x6 build from the beggining, thanks Unfug, a clear, nice and elegant approach for a wohnmobile. I will talk about my hesitations on the subject of the battery bank as I go on.

The last subject of worry was the fabrication of the support for the rear shock absorbers, and checking among the stuff I found many kinds of pieces of steel and old parts, all of them doubtfully usable for the task. Nothing convinced me completely.

At some moment, though, I stumbled with one of the cross members of the frame of Spare that I had kept for “who knows when this thing will be useful”. And so it was.

Bild

I removed the fiercely stuck rivets and then took out a long strip of metal by its whole length, just to make the shocks fit in. I then cleaned the inside face and it was ready for welding. I used again the MIG welder and I liked pretty much the result.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I realized that I would not be able to manipulate the pieces unless I removed some stuff so I took out the air tanks and some supports from between the frame rails. Pretty boring.

Bild

Fortunately the hole for the nut that held the support for the strut of the sway bar was perfectly placed and there was necessity to drill only one more hole to fix the cross member to the frame.

I reduced the width of the crossmember with a pair of precision cuts (!?) and drilled the fixing holes on the borders and cleaned the piece for good.

Bild
Bild

After a few contorsions I put the crossmember in place and then marked the right height and inclination using an old shock from Spare as guide. The separation between the crossmember and the air tanks was of only 12 to 15 milimeters… as previously calculated… of course.

Bild

A few minutes later there was another couple of drilholes on the frame of the Merkabah.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#357 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-08-21 5:12:04

I began to drill the crossmember for the pins of the shock absorbers, but unfortunately I did not have the 15 mm bit that was needed. It would have to wait until I took it to the right place, the next day.

Bild
Bild

But, as I do not intend to dedicate my whole life to the project only, I took wife, Montero, food and the dogs and rode south to visit some relatives and to spend some time at the mountains, along the Teno river. The place belonged to my family for many, many years, and it was capital in my youth, but now unfortunately it was for sale. Times change.

Bild

We slept in front of the massive fireplace and the next morning we made a long promenade scorted by the 4x4 feet explorers Amanda and Deva. It was quiet healthy and refreshing leaving the truck alone for a while and breathe the purifying air of the mountains, with the smell and the mist of the recent rain.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

When we came back, late that Sunday, we realized that there had been an attempt of intrusion and the lock of the window of the main room was broken. They could not break in, but they made a little mess on the patio. Seemed that Deva would not accompany us any more and she sadly would have to stay at home to keep guard.

On the 3D model of the Merkabah I drew also the cross member for completeness, with less details though, and following Hajo’s comment I took out the two batteries of the truck from the container of the domestic batteries and put them in the container of the generator. The container would then be smaller, easier to build and more resistant. I also decided to put it behind the generator instead of in front of it because it was easier to bolt on the frame in that order.

Bild
Bild

When my regular work ended the next day I went to the shop and picked up the crossmember and went to Verardo’s. At the machineshop the workers looked for the right drill bit and one of them drilled the piece in a few minutes. Then I went back to the workshop and spent the next three hours finishing the cleaning of the pieces, powerblowing and sweeping the whole working place. It was quiet dirty, with many kilos of dust, metallic debris and lots of small pieces of steel.

I reached to put all the pieces that needed priming in place and, suddenly, I ran out of time and enthousiasm. They would have to wait another day or two.

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von pairospam am 2013-08-21 5:35:28, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

pairospam
süchtig

#358 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-08-21 5:23:23

For a change, that precise next afternoon it was raining and the temperature was pretty low so no chance at all for priming. I shrugged and went on, looking for the parts to assemble the wheel hubs. It took a while to gather all the pieces, and when I had all them together I felt some kind of panic; it had been so long… what if I did not remember the precise assembly sequence?

Bild

I tried to open the Mercedes EPC page on the computer of the office but my subscription had finished just two days before, and I did not remember (neither I still do) the PayPal password to renew it. I then got the notebook and put it at hand, pretty close even if there was a risk of damaging it, in case some photographic reference was needed.

Bild

The process that followed was pretty slow as I realized that before assembling I would have to deal with the many retainers of the brake camshaft, the primer that went into the bolt holes and a lot of difficulties. A couple of hours passed among searching the piece, sanding the primer, putting it on, taking it out, looking at the picture, putting on the forgotten washer, taking the picture and so on.

Bild
Bild
Bild

In the end I just reached to put the brake shoes brackets and the brake camshaft on the left side of the third axle.

Bild

The sun was shining the next afternoon and it was pretty warm so I sprayed washprimer and primer all over and, while waiting for the paint to dry between hands, I went on with the assembling of the brakes. Every piece had to be cleaned and hand or/and power grinded before assembling, and I checked many times before putting them on for good to reduce the danger of mistakes and the need for disassembling. I also lost some time when I had to go out to buy some bolts, nuts and washers that were not in the original plan.

Bild
Bild
Bild

I put the brake shoes after struggling with their deformed pins and after having to take them out because I forgot to grease them before as they had no grease points. Well, at least I made some progress and went a little farther with the brakes of the right side of the axle too.

Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#359 Beitrag von pairospam » 2013-08-21 5:33:51

Bild
Bild

That afternoon I received an e-mail from my friend Hugo, with a recent picture of his Volvo 6x6 with its new LED front fog-lights, amazingly powerfull according to him, and I bought it. I ordered a couple of them for the Merkabah.

Bild

And it was Saturday, again, and I wanted to go early to the workshop but, because of my regular work, I only reached it after 3:00 PM. I resumed the work and did not stop until 20:30. I wanted so bad to install the crossmember, the sway bar and the tray for the winch that afternoon. And I did it.

The truth is that I worked pretty slowly because it was not easy to manipulate the heavy pieces and, to make it worst, I had to remove the sway bar once installed because I forgot to put the Zegers locks before putting everything else. Pretty boring, but in the end Pairoa won, again. All the pieces were in situ when the working journey was over, but there were not enough nuts, bolts and washers as required. Nothing too complicated, though. Good.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Sunday morning I went out for a run, like in the good old days, and my left ankle did not protest for the first time since the fall with the Africa Twin, last March. I did not even think about the Merkabah.

As Unfug pointed out very wisely, I gave a second thought to the containers for the batteries and for the generator. They were planned to be bolted to the frame, pretty tight and secure, and for at least 130 cm deep water crossings, but the waterproofing depended on the integrity of the cover. I did not think, even for an instant, that they would be closely exposed to the rocks of the roads and to any kind of traumatisms of the offroad driving that, for sure, the truck would withstand. Hmm…

Bild
Bild

I trusted the design but I forgot that little detail called inprevidibilty, that has much to do with Murphy’s law. I then put experimentally the batteries in the only place left for them, under the bed in the main locker at the rear. I did not want to put them in the Box, but seemed that could be a not so bad option given the circumstances, though the last word on the subject was far from being spoken.

Bild

JStefan
Schlammschipper

#360 Beitrag von JStefan » 2013-08-21 7:23:24

Hello Pairoa,
Wow what a great job... We worked on our Man Kat1 6x6 for about 5 years...and now we travel since almost 4 Years...saw about 25 country's so far...
If there some question I might help, just let me know... Take care

Petra and Stefan
1 Reise, 2 Menschen, 3 Achsen, 4 Pfoten . . . . seit 2009 on the road .... www.viajantes.de

Antworten