Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

Moderator: Moderatoren

Nachricht
Autor
pairospam
süchtig

#31 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-04 16:30:41

I forgot.

The whole system, installed for instance on the Merkabah, would cost Euro 1.700.

Pairoa

pairospam
süchtig

#32 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-06 19:02:33

In these days of July last year, I had already begun to move to find the proper wheels for the Merkabah. I searched in the strange worlds and underworlds of the used wheels because no dealer had real off-road in the 22,5 inches measure.
This was a priority because I knew that I would have to give back the borrowed wheels at some point, sooner than later.
Looking for the wheels I got to a place one hour from San Felipe where there were many old ex Army Unimogs in different state of wreckage, and some wheels also in different states. The owner was not sure about selling them and his price was way higher than expected (and they were not worth of it!).
Just a few days later the phone ringed and I had to take off the front wheels, the ones in better shape, and in a hurry because the owner had a problem with one of his own trucks. The idea was to put the rear wheels on front and to put the axle on stands, always hoping to find soon wheels and rims to be able to move the truck for servicing and rebuilding.
To make a long story short, the changing of the wheels of a truck was a far more complicated and demanding job than I thought. It took me quite a bit of time first to get the tools and the jack. It was neither easy at that time to get proper logs to stand the axle. The first jack was broken so I had to get another one from another source in the city and then get back to the country. When I finished to remove the bolts from the first wheel I was already exhausted. There was really no other problem than tiredness taking off the rear wheels but the terrain under the front of the truck was humid and soft and when I took the front left wheel off the jack started to sink in. I had to dig in a hurry with a piece of wood to get to put the wheel on to stop the sinking of the truck. Some sweat and many kilograms of humid earth after and I could get it through and bolted the wheel properly.
I had to dig again to get the jack off.
I took the wheels back to the city pretty late and very, very tired.
Only a couple of days later on and I knew that my friend needed the rest of the wheels (mostly the rims) back. Bad thing. I have had no time to get my own tools so I had to borrow them again, and I got also some nice logs to put under the axles. I got a decent jack this time and after lifting, unbolting, taking off and putting the wheels on the Mitsubishi and the axles on the logs I was ready to get them to the city. The picture was taken when I finished, illuminated by the front lights of the Mitsubishi. Could not get any better image, the camera was as exhausted as myself.
I returned to the countryside the day after to check the Merkabah under clear light. Lying there, even without the wheels, without the door window, dirty and not in its best days, I could still feel some kind of dignity, something about it that raised some kind of respect. Me… crazy? Old steel is hard to resist my friends!

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#33 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 5:40:57

When I looked I realized that the rear axle had slipped out and was almost leaning on the floor. The rest of the axles was allright. Profiting of the abscense of the wheels I made a photo shooting at the details of the suspension and drive train to made a sort of plan or schedule for the servicing and modifications. No major component was severely damaged. The front and rear suspension should absolutely be modificated and softened. The steering terminals had to be replaced and so every latex part and pieces. I fixed with scotch tape some holes of the roof to stop the leaking and could not resist to remove the copilot footrest which poor condition you could see before. I would work on it and that would be the first serious attempt to repair and rebuild the Merkabah.
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#34 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 5:49:07

I worked (and still work) hands-on the truck depending on my very scarse availability of time, and in the meantime I went on “intellectually” and developed the idea of the Merkabah as a wohnmobile with its definite configuration, and thought about solving the problems of reducing costs and increase effectiveness and practicality. Remember that we did not fabricate these trucks in Chile and availability of certain pieces is quiet doubtfull despite the excellent stock of parts by the representatives of Mercedes and many other part dealers. The design shows how, at that time, the Merkabah might look.
The original idea was of taking parts and pieces from disassembled trucks to get through the changes and adaptations of the drive train and suspension and everything as much as possible. As a very faithfull guy I asked the Chief for help to find the most adequate solution for the project, nearer and cheaper as it may be. And, just a few days later, driving the same way to the countryside where the Merkabah stood, I thought I saw with the corner of the eye, almost hidden behind some trees on the parkyard of a truck workshop, a pretty known silhouette of a NG class Mercedes. I pulled over and got near the truck that was actually the cabin, the chassis and the front axle. I requested information and the truck was there for the last three years. Asking for it always work. Sometimes things show up, but most of the time your eyes are opened so you can see what had been there all the time, just in front of you.
In few words: pullman cab, less than regular condition; chassis broken in many parts; front and aft sway bar; OM 402 burned out with no gear box; cabin interior no better than Merkabah’s but with certain pieces reusable; all the glasses and many other parts that could be of use. Some pieces were stolen, surely by the people of the workshop, through these years of neglect, as was the hydraulic pump for the basculating mechanism of the cabin, and also the air valves.
I called the owner some days later and after some brief treatises we closed the deal. Of course the price was higher than I should pay. Life is hard.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#35 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 5:56:06

As the project went on more and more seriously I become concerned for real and I decided not to depend on anyone for assembling, disassembling, taking off and putting on wheels or whatever. So, I went to Santiago to a very known big tools shop and bought all the tools I thought I might need for the project and to carry in the future trips around the world aboard the Merkabah: a big torque wrench, the biggest portable tool box available (since a child I always wanted one), and a big socket wrench box. As my experience with the hydraulic jacks was not the happiest to remember I asked for the best jack in stock; the seller, with a strong spanish accent pointed out and almost chouted:”Pues, esa!”. Naturally, he sold me a jack made in Spain. Good, anyway. At least Jinx, our cat, loved it at first sight (jack, translated to spanish means cat, but in feminin genre).
When it came the time to get hands on both trucks the workshop was full of cars and a truck. After many discussions Eduardo convinced me that the solution was to work in the country, in a site near the location of the Merkabah, a former cattle run of his parents, where he then parked the tractors, some agricultural devices and machines and many other old stuff and car wheels for an abandoned ecologic house. The more delicate work would be done at the workshop. Not convinced at all I accepted the proposal; after all it was HIS workshop.
On september 24th 2010, I, the truck owner, and the guys with the crane gathered and made bussiness. The truck was sadly baptised as “Spare”, and after tying up all that could fall apart (with wire, naturally), he was hooked from the bad looking chassis and towed to make its last trip, in reverse, to his final location.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#36 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 6:05:10

Well, you can see clearly the bend of the broken chassis as it hangs from the crane. The expression of the faces of the people in the cars behind us was pretty funny, seeing these bulky green giant with an odd looking, overall dressed and smiling guy driving astern three meters high.
It was late afternoon when the parking maneuvers ended and Spare remained quiet and still in the ancient cattle; from then on it would become the wreaker’s yard.
The precariousness of the site gave me an uneasy feeling, but it was what there was so... with a sigh of relief I went home aboard the crane.
At that moment I still had some hope that Spare’s cabin could be recycled and the softer suspension be used instead of the more stiff one of Merkabah. Also with a larger cabin we could carry at least two more people with us on the trips to come. Even more, larger cabin 6x6s looked very nice as the one on the picture wich I could not import because of the amazing prize.
The day after, under the shinny sun, all doubts resolved with a closer look. Spare’s cabin had been repaired, maybe more than once, and it was not recoverable. Everywhere rust appeared under the original and secondary painting and some kilo of filler and welding. I also realized something I did not pay attention to the day before: the copilot seat had been stolen! It was broken but they took it off anyway. Could it be possible, all these people be like this?

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#37 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 6:18:17

The winsheld shade was burned after many years of neglect and exposition to the sun, but my father opined that it could be recoverable, and I believe him for he is an expert when it comes to speak and work on plastics and glass fibre reinforced epoxy structures. Some interior elements could be of use but under the carpet the rusted reality was incontrovertible.
Steering terminals were healthy but I did not know if they could be used on Merkabah’s steering system. The rest of the components of the front axle seemed in good shape and, all in all, apparently it had not been a bad acquisition.
Old as it was, the allure of the machine still inspired respect as well.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#38 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 6:27:23

Every weekend available I tried some new clue for wheels. I have been given a lot and I went through Santiago back and forth looking for all terrain 22,5 new and used wheels. No way. It was always the same: a dirty place with a lot of different types and brands of partialy or completely worn 20’’ wheels.
On october 3th I began Spare’s dismantling. The first thing to come off was the shade, followed by the dismantling of the dashboard under a rain of photographs to make sure to know how to reassemble eventualy every component. As once wrote Joe on his blog, electronic photography has made the cost of this item neligible.
Wiring was removed completely and the instruments, gauges, switches and connectors were all removed and stored.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Joe
abgefahren
#39 Beitrag von Joe » 2011-05-11 9:32:48

Hi,

thx for the pics and documentation. It seems as if you already made a lot of pics - good.
But when re-assembling you may miss the one or other pic and may wonder to where the wire has to go, where to fix this specific item, ... . So it is always better to have 5 pics too many than one missing!
Mit lieben Grüßen von der Nahe
Joe

Die "private" Seite ist unter www.gertenbach.mobi zu finden.

Veho Ergo Sum // Feinstaub ist doch Kinderkram - Grobstaub!!

Lassie
Allrad-Philosoph
#40 Beitrag von Lassie » 2011-05-11 11:36:35

.... what a project :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am really happy, that I had not to go through so much rust and dented, bent and filthy old metal :eek:

Wish you good luck!
Juergen[/quote]
....down-sizing vom U1300L zum U100L Turbo:

Die höchste Form des Glücks ist ein Leben mit einem gewissen Grad an Verrücktheit.
Erasmus von Rotterdam

Baloo
Schlammschipper
#41 Beitrag von Baloo » 2011-05-11 13:12:27

Hi Pairoa
You have extremely beautiful drawings and nice pictures! Looks very romantic :blush:
but like a _lot_ of work :(

Thanks and best wishes
Peter

pairospam
süchtig

#42 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 15:58:16

Hi:

Joe: Do not worry. For every picture shown here I have not five but ten stored in two computers at home and at work. Better safe than sorry; you are right.

People here also think that I am kind of romantic... and fool. Life is hard.

I was a litlle concerned about putting so much pictures, but I need to put as many to "show" the story. Glad you like it, I cannot do otherwise.

And I go on a little more.
As said, every connection was photographed as clearly as possible. The tray over the dashboard (do not know its actual name) was also removed and left in the cabin; it would be used too on the Merkabah to fix the roof thing and to put some instruments.
Pedal and pedal pumps were not so good but... who knows.
Everything that could be taken off was so, and when I finished with the interior I began to dismantle the exterior elements.
Air tanks were blown away as were the valves, connectors and Tecalan tubing, hydraulic tubing and all the nuts and screws at sight.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#43 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-11 16:23:02

Twin air tanks would be put together back on the chassis but astern of the rear axles. Untill that moment they would stand on the floor. The mountings of the shock absorbers and both sway bars were taken for its future role on the suspension of Merkabah. I took every part I could, even the pump for the windshield wiper; guess what was its functional status? Right.
One of the last pieces to come out was the diesel tank. Big doubts about its usefulness because it had been exposed to the elements for the last three years. I took it to the workshop to find out.
I did not mention it but San Felipe is one of the hottest spots in Chile, and working on spring/summer time on the cattle was really, really hard. I drank at least two liters of water and Coca Cola just to get back the missing water of a couple of hours of work, and rusted nuts did not help at all.
Well, many hours of labor after getting my hands over Spare I was sure that people from Overhauling would not call me to collaborate with them.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#44 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-18 4:06:42

Hi:

There was a sticky message regarding uploading pictures, but automatic translation left me completely lost. If someone could translate it would be very appreciated.
In the meantime, I go on.
Well, the problem of the lack of the wheels and rims was far from beeing resolved, and I made the bigger mistake of the whole project (until then, at least) which was to fall in love with six Alcoa 22,5 aluminum wide rims offered for an apparently good price at some place in Santiago. I was looking for wide allterrain wheels and I thought I found the right ones on big wheel-store, made in China of course, so I paid the rims and went to Santiago some days later to pick up both the wheels and the rims. But, horror, the wheels were not appropriate at all because the measures were all wrong. I then tried to dissolve the trade but the seller was reluctant to give me the money back because the rims were used stuff, and therefore there was not possibility for refunding, even if I never took them from the store.
I decided not to fight back because I was the one to make a stupid thing, buying something without trying it before. So I took charge of the mistake and its consequences and, even more sadly, I bought him some other parts and pieces that he stored from old NG Mercedes wrecks. I put everything on the pickup of the Mitsubishi and drove back home without saying a word.
When I finally put the rims on the truck, again horror. The discs inner displacement left the wheels too emerging on the front and too deep on the back, with no possibility of fixing. They definitely were not for the truck, as I suspected, but too late. I received not congratulations, of course, for this brilliant commercial maneuver.
By these days, the friend from who I borrowed the wheels knew a guy who was importing directly from China a lot of 385/80R22,5s for his fleet, but there was still need for the rims. I faked some interest but I soon forgot the issue. I was full of it.
For enchanting myself again with the truck I took the right-side footrest and gave it a brief hand of hydraulic jack work; then I disassembled it and fought quiet a lot with rust and dry mud. Some kicks and hammer hits later its look was better but far from optimal. I decided to de-weld the major components to better flatten them and the result was even better, but not enough, and my ears had a quiet annoying whistle. Seemed that flatten out well was not a joke. I should do something about it.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#45 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-18 4:24:19

I borrowed from Verardo, a good friend that owns a machine-shop at San Felipe, one of his three bridge-cranes for two weeks, time supposedly enough for us to take out the engines from the two trucks. The day agreed I went to the shop and disassembled the crane, but the old Ford had a braking problem so I also borrowed one of his medium sized trucks and we took the crane to the cattle. Big guy, this Verardo. Trips to and from, time and more time.
Finally, on November 6th, on a particularly hot day, I took off the last possible part from Spare and assembled, all alone, the crane. They are pretty heavy this things, and large enough to make it very unstable to manage. All in all, I could handle to assemble the crane but was unable to stand it up on its feet. Spare, half blinded, seemed to laugh at my fruitless attempts to lift the crane with the aid of the Terrano. The soft and unstable soil also played against me.
The cavalry came in the afternoon. Alejandro put the horsepower and support necessary to complete the maneuver and the crane finally stood up. Egyptians couldn’t do better.
Once standing, we had some trouble moving it because the metal wheels sank into the smooth soil. Damn stall! When in the right position, the lifting slings were put to lift Spare’s cabin. Of course, nothing is quiet easy, as Murphy’s law always tell us, and the slings were too short or the cabin was too tall for the crane. We changed strategy and let the cabin hang from the horizontal beam while, step by step, we lifted it with the winch. Soon the sun came down and we left the job for the next day.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Lassie
Allrad-Philosoph
#46 Beitrag von Lassie » 2011-05-18 4:26:27

Hi Pairospam,

the sticky message means, that you should not upload pictures, which are not yours - its all about copyrights and legal responsibilities for the forum owners here in Germany.

Re your purchasing of the rims: mistakes like this happen quite often. You are excited about a 'good bargain' and forget to think about the basics. Happened to me as well once in a while :wack:

Re your rusty old beauty: wow - what a project :eek:
I could not do it - no workshop, no time, not enough knowledge, not enough willpower to fight through this big heap of rust, dirt and old metal. Big Kudo to you! At the end you know exactly how everything works on your rig. Keep up!

Best regards from Shanghai,
Juergen
....down-sizing vom U1300L zum U100L Turbo:

Die höchste Form des Glücks ist ein Leben mit einem gewissen Grad an Verrücktheit.
Erasmus von Rotterdam

pairospam
süchtig

#47 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-18 4:42:03

The next morning a few fine clouds freshened the valley and it felt better to work on the cattle. We lifted the cabin enough to take the bolts of the suspension off, but one of them turned loosely and it was impossible to remove, no matter how many times we tried. We got exhausted trying to take it off, and in the meantime I realized that some hydraulic piping remained attached to the chassis on the driver’s side. I disconnected everything for good to avoid more trouble when the cabin will be freed.
It was necessary to use a circular cutter to cut the famous bolt out. I used the little cutter with a big disc, with no protection, in a very uncomfortable position to get the bolt. Please don’t do it yourselves at home. I was very scared and there was no photo shooting in case of an accident; I did not want anything to remember me the risky maneuver.
With the cabin finally hanging free it was needed only a little pulling of the chassis with the Terrano and the engine was exposed.
The fine morning clouds became dense and grey and a gentle rain ended the working day. We covered everything with anything at hand and everybody else went home. I stayed alone and worked untill I finally put the cabin on some wheels.
Did not want to leave the cabin hanging from the crane.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#48 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-18 5:02:37

Hi Juergen:
Your words came while I was submitting the past post. Thank you for them.

I woke up and went to the cattle early next morning and started to set the engine free from the chassis. Mercedes fabricated these things in such a manner that this is a very simple procedure, with the advantage of the lack of any complicated electronics. Another effort to move the crane and the engine was lifted up with a groan from both the crane and the operator; it was really heavy.
The exposed cabin suspension gave me the idea to use it on the Merkabah, but it was something to think about and give it second and third thoughts because the two systems are pretty different.
The parts from Spare were sparse everywhere, where they shared the place with other stuff from better and forgotten times.
A little more sweat and the little pieces from the chassis and suspension were removed. You can see from the picture how the chassis had been cut, welded and re-welded, and understand why it broke in so many places. Years before this was apparently allowed in Chile, but only to be done by certified workshops. This was evidently not the case.
Before going home I placed the engine on the floor to avoid accidents with the curious kids from the neighbors and shot a last glance at the remainings of Spare; it was a little sad vision but at least some of him could be useful and still “live” on the Merkabah.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#49 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-18 6:49:00

Some time passed and Eduardo and I went back to the cattle and lifted the chassis to remove the front axle. With the aid of the Terrano we towed it back and rolled it by hand next to the fence. It was a hard job for us; everything in a truck weights (and costs) ten times more than in a car. By hand also we put aside the front axle and I disassembled it. We then went to take the venerable John Deere and installed the front-loader with which the cabin was (bearily) lifted and Eduardo left it in its momentarily definitive site, flanked by old used wheels and parts and pieces of steel. The ancient truck from Eduardo’s father would make him company for a while.
One step completed, I was always facing the problem of the wheels, necessary to move the Merkabah from his location to the cattle. I wanted to use the aluminum wheels to avoid been asked to take them back at any bloody time. By that time, after going back and forth so many times to put in and to take out wheels and rims, the workers of the wheel-workshop were pretty close and together we tried to put the wheels used on the trip from Talca on the aluminum rims; we succeeded only with one wheel thanks to the efforts of five people because the rims were too wide. Then, the owner of the shop passed me a wheel from a client with a little sad and sympathising look; it was an “enormous” 214/85R22,5 from a mixer truck. And then on, the chief of the shop passed me two more wheels, as big as the one of the mixer type. They fitted perfectly on the rims. Some trips to and from the country and all the wheels were by the side of the Merkabah.
I put on the front the wheels from Spare and the “new” wheels on the rear axles. Better not to say how difficult it was to lift the leaning third axle. After a while I liked the look of the wide aft single wheels, but it was evident that they were displaced too much to the interior and the cubes were pretty protruding. I installed all the wheels and hoped to have time the next two days to take the truck to the cattle.
The next day, while at work, I got a call from the shop: they needed the wheel from the client, with some urgency, naturally. And then, the perfect idiot left for the cattle, took the wheel back to the shop, got another one by pure magic, put it on the rim, got back to the country and installed it back on the truck, asking for himself: ”What the hell..!?”.
Well. Two days later I put back the batteries on their tray; I had taken them off before to avoid them from beeing stolen. I turned the key and the OM402 started coughing a little for the last time before the overhaul. It smoked more than ever, like presuming that something was going to happen, and took a century to charge the air tanks. If you pay attention you can see that the front panel under the windshield came from Spare, the first piece to be recycled from it. You can also see how different looked the big wheels comparing to the regular ones and how ridiculous looked the one on the wide rim.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#50 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 6:22:42

I planned to make a big tour before taking the truck to the cattle, you know, before it was dismantled and reassembled for who knows how long, but the clutch dowel pin broke at the third push of the pedal and I had to fix it in the middle of the street (with wire, naturally). So I parked it on the cattle soon as it was fixed and I left them, wire and Merkabah, to prepare for the next big step after only a short trip.
By the way, I do not mind if someone wants to reproduce any of the pictures if it serves in any way and do not harm anybody. I also like comments and constructive criticisms about the project or about any aspect of the thread.
Said so, on November 18th I parked the truck in the proper position and the “fine” work started. I dragged the crane and hanged the cabin. The hydraulic piston was of course out of service and leaked from everywhere. I tried hard to remove it but it was so stacked that it remained in its place (and still is). I disconnected the lines and started to lift the cabin, and here I did the second biggest mistake of the whole project: I did not realize that the tube for the gearshift lever was still connected. Maybe I was too tired or too anxious or both, but I did not pay attention and just pulled the chain of the 2 t. winch without looking too much until I hear a muffled - bump! and the cabin was bruised. Also the gearshift tube was ugly bent. Bad.
Eduardo came that afternoon to give me a hand. There was no need for words; his killing glance was enough. Life is hard.
The truck and the engine were pretty dirty so I decided to clean them up before any dismantling work took place. Two sessions of a couple of hours with the hydropump and the picture was very different. The truck was almost O.K. but the cattle soil, where some time ago used to pasture tender cows, was a mess with all the dirt and grease that came out from the chassis.
Unveiling from the dirt exposed the sad repair job of the air compressor and other bad looking things, but the chassis, the engine and the other elements “shone” under the sun after who knows how many decades.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#51 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 6:37:04

On the next session, after some well known movements, the engine was ready for lifting up; good thing having disassembled Spare before! The gear box, with its massive bulk, looked heavier than ever after taking its mud and grease cover, and the same applied to the rear springs pack and to the rest of the truck. By the way, you could not ever drive an allterrain motorhome with this heavy-duty packs.
The heat and dryness of the air made every effort cost twice. When the picture was taken I was very happy but exhausted. Eduardo came again and together we left the motor hanging from the crane before lunch. After that I had a nephritic spasm and I had to stop for a couple of days. Verardo, the owner of the crane, made no problem at any time and left me the crane for as long as I needed it.
While I was down I studied the diesel tank from Spare. A similar tank but with 300 liters of capacity could cost euro 460, way much more than I was keen to invest on that item, so I decided to stretch it if it was in shape.
On the 23th November I got back to work and to the cattle and disconnected the starter from the engine, the last link of the engine to the rest of the truck. But I got a call from work and everything stopped there.
At the workshop, the day after, I bought a lot of fine cutting discs and began to cut the diesel tank. The sparks were so numerous that I had to stop, affraid that they could ignite the vapors inside the tank. I left the tank and waited for the right moment to go to Santiago to buy the blades for the saber saw to finish the job. In the meantime it was necessary to make room to work on the engines, so the remainings of the brown Blazer, donor of the afterparts for the congealed 6x6 Blazer project, had to be taken from the workshop on the recently repaired yellow Ford. The space left was supposed to be enough to work on every “delicate” aspect of the Merkabah. Ha!

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#52 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 6:50:09

The next day I was there, at the same hardware store with the same Spanish old tender buying the spares for the saber saw and a good-looking flattening out kit.
Only after a few days, on November 29th, we were able to discharge the half/Blazer and work on the two engines separately. To move the bridge-crane with the engine of the Merkabah hanging from it we had to pull it very gently with the aid of the John Deere. We plowed the cattle many meters to put the crane in the right position to leave the engine on the Ford. We could not lift Spare’s engine up with the crane so we opted to tow it with the tractor too. I was concerned but Eduardo told me with a little disdain:” Nothing can harm these f….ng things!”. After a few plowing with the old Mercedes engine I had to admit that he was right, again.
Joking and playing, Eduardo and Alejandro helped me to lift the second engine up and we secured both to the old Ford. Without them I would still be pulling from the chains of the winch.
Once secured, we left the cattle heading for San Felipe, 20 minutes away. It seemed that at some moment the old Ford would ignite the afterburners and take off. Well…almost. Once at the workshop I felt a big relief; another step was completed. How many remained?

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#53 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 7:04:16

The next day I borrowed a big front-loader from another good friend and we put both engines on the floor. The same day we disassembled the crane and we took it back to Verardo’s machine-shop, but it was late when we finished Alejandro and I. The rest of the day I planned how the dismantling of the engines would carry on. Despite the movements the space remaining for working on was scarcer than expected, but it was already occupied by the half-finished 6x6 Blazer. Nothing to complain, then.
It was November 27th, and I was really tired because the charge of work had been very heavy the last two months. My colleague had a heart attack and fortunately he recovered completely. Profiting of his return to work I picked up Carmen, put her on the motorcycle and headed south blindly. We made a very beautiful trip arriving to Concepción, a city by the sea distant 570 km. from San Felipe by the highway. We returned by the coast and finally made almost 2000 km. The picture shows how even a supposedly safe trip can have problems on its own. We ended with a little aching, you know where, but happy and renewed.
Back in San Felipe I got back into the dismantling of the engines. Every step was photographed extensely to avoid screwing up anything else. I tried to keep a precise order for everything because you never know what can happen.
Spare’s engine mobile pieces were allright in general but the plock was broken. It had been burned up once, repaired and then burned up again. The process of dismantling was very interesting and full of details to learn; the air compressor was in better condition than was Merkabah’s; the cylinder heads, the cylinder sleeves and the pistons were dirty but healthy.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#54 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 7:21:31

The injection pump was left apart for subsequent diagnosis. Carmen and all the friends and curious put the same face and told the same words at the view of the massive block lying on the floor.
Meanwhile, the Merkabah was not forgotten; it was permanently photographed and measured in every detail to make the designs and the list of spares and pieces as accurate as possible. You can see some detail on the cabin dampers, repaired, welded and broken again, and details of the lack of love and servicing to the piping, the PTO, etc. Despite that, everytime I got near the truck my mood changed and I felt very lucky and happy and prone to joking on, strangely as it may seem.
The fore section of Spare's frame, which was fortunately never touched, was a very good donor candidate for the stretching of the Merkabah’s chassis. Nevertheless, the turn of the cabin and the chassis would come only when all the steps of the overlauling of the engine were completed; until then the bowing truck would have to patiently wait on the cattle.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#55 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 7:35:02

I bought a new little disc sander (the former was exhausted after been extensively used on the Blazer 6x6 project) and I took one week to fabricate a few support benches and pillars for the large pieces to come from discarded steel. After one hour of use the instrument was no longer yellow, of course. I took the saber saw and completed the cutting of the diesel tank. It was as exciting and noisy as always. The interior of the tank was pretty healthy an definitely with some 15 cm. stretching it could be used on the Merkabah with a capacity of nearly 315 liters. Later I would decide and test the better welding method to use.
Suddenly, another phone call and a request for taking back the wheels. I was really sick of that. But, with all the experience acquired until then, it only took me a few movements and both the big wheels were at the shop and the truck on the trunks, where it would rest waiting for its definitive shoes.
I made an extensive research and I could not find the right blueprint in Internet. I found one of a 6x4 NG class Mercedes but I did not like it, do not ask me why. So I took a blueprint from another 6x6 and modified it to fit with Merkabah’s dimensions to design the whole vehicle on actual bases.
To test the stock of the Mercedes dealer I requested the rear tandem silentblocks and, after some fighting with the codes, they sent the right spares. They arrived on january 2th, big and expensive things.
The Rockinger-type hook was always in the middle of everything so I took it, disassembled and cleaned it and gave two coats of anti-rust paint. Then I left it on the cellar with all the rest of the pieces and parts that would replace and complete the older ones.
Getting back to the engine, I worked a few hours removing the pistons and the crankshaft and all the rest of the pieces until the block was almost naked.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#56 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-05-25 18:43:44

Water made a lot of damage in the cooling system and circuit, but the problem seemed to be the lack of a good antifreezing before forgetting the truck under the trees. I had to cut some piston rod bolts to remove the cylinder of the burned out section, wich you can see in the picture.
I could not remove the sleeves from the block and I left them there in case of future need. All the pieces taken from the engine were left close also in case of need.
One day I found that I was full of pages with sketches, designs and quotations and dimensions and pretty much stuff written in paper. I then took the computer and looked for Sketchup and searched for the Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6 model I hoped someone had already designed. “Your search had 0 results” was the aseptic answer, but it seemed to me that some kind of veiled smile was on that screen. Then I looked for, one by one, every truck in every model collection until I found under the name “red wagon” the Mercedes model I was searching. After a few hours the “wagon” became a shiny 6x6 ready to get transformed into an allrad motorhome.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#57 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-06-01 0:53:28

Back at the workshop I went on with the dismantling of the engine of the Merkabah, also extensively photographed. I could got to work only on january 12th, and every piece was left in some box trying to keep an order too. The starter, even if it sounded good, had a very poor looking. Particular attention to the bell housing, huge and frightening. The air compressor had got some oil and carbon on the piston, and the improvised head cylinder gasket was something to forget. Bad thing. With the aid of the winch I took off the bell housing and the enormous clutch showed up with the pretty curious lubrication system for the fork. The pressure plate, with its forty kilos, was also frightening and you can see the cracks on its surface due to who knows how many over-efforts. The inertial flywheel was not better, of course, asking for rest and peace.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#58 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-06-01 1:04:08

The disc was the best-looking, but not good enough. Taking off the back cover was easy but always the worst part was the dirt and the grease. The injection pump was apparently in better shape and complete, and it was left together with the one from Spare.
I dedicated also some amount of time and energy to the design of the habitable cell, from now on the Box, and particularly to define the measures and materials of all the components, even if some materials do not necessarily exist in the market. The interior design is not very different or innovative, with the dining place in front and the fresh water reserves underneath, the kitchen and ward cabinets in the middle, bathroom and shower separated and facing each other, with the main bedroom in the back, over a big utility space. The measures were the longest and widest they could be in allowance to the Chilean laws according with the wheelbase. The height could not surpass 380 cm or I would not be able to go through the oldest tunnels and bridges. The box would be made of sandwich panels of polyurethane and fiberglass.
Before removing the rusted exhausts I made a photo with pretended artistic purposes, estricticly amateur it’s understood. After taking them off it was straight ahead to have the cylinder heads on the table and to continue with the dismantling process.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#59 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-06-01 1:17:48

The general state of the engine was good, and certainly better than the one from Spare, mainly regarding to the cooling water circuit. The water pump was in good condition too, (according to me). Even if the fan seemed O.K., with a closer look you could see a bruise on one of its blades. I emptied the engine from many, many liters of oil and then removed the carter; when the time comes to fill the carter I will have to look for donations! Then I put the block leaning on one side to remove the pistons and the crankshaft. At the inspection I could see that it was not the first visit but everything seemed to be all right. The pistons came off with not much resistance and they went orderly in their boxes.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

pairospam
süchtig

#60 Beitrag von pairospam » 2011-06-01 1:30:59

I decided to build a box for the batteries and another box for the generator, both of them to be bolted to the frame of the truck on he driver’s side. On the other side would go the stretched diesel tank. The Box would be on four pivoting mounts at 25 cm. above the frame. Utility boxes for spares, tools, gray and black waters would hang from the Box on the back side and above the rear wheels.
On the back there would be a frame for two spare wheels and for the motorcycle with a pivoting arm connected to an electric winch. Nothing spectacular neither here. The problem at hand was that I would not be able to take the spare wheels and the motorcycle at the same time, not even only one wheel. But as the screen stands for everything and anything I put the wheels over the cabin even if I was aware that those almost 300 kilograms would not be tolerated by the cabin, but they would remain there for a while, at least to the moment to address the issue properly.
A few pixels after the Merkabah had its doors and windows in place. The windows will be made with thermopanels.
By that time, I met the Casales, a couple of brothers that ran their MB truck for the second time in the Chilean-Argentinian version of the Dakar rally. Coincidentally (it does not exist such thing, as I told before) I and them shared some common history, relatives and friends, and the passion for steel and grease and camping. I bought them seven used and very rusted rims from who knows wich european army truck; well, not so rusted and perfectly rescueable rims. They used similar rims twice in the Dakar and did not had any trouble with them.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Antworten