glad that this seems to work out well :positiv:

Thank you for keeping us updated!

All the best, Hajo

pairospam
süchtig

Re: Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

#1172 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 19:34:09

Hi all:

I was in my holidays, and have had many problems with the internet and the computers until now. This is the sixth attempt to post.

Well, I felt really tired after the holidays. Too much working, too much thinking, too much doing things at home. They were good days, but busy days after all.

Talking about the project, you thought I was just going to take the parts and assemble the gearbox and that’s it? Noooo… I had first to disassemble and clean for good the gear cluster, again, before even thinking on assembling, and that’s what I did when I had the time.
19135.jpg
At home, in the country, the guys finished the sealing of the water inlet of the irrigation pond. I really liked the HDPE welder gun they used, nice and really expensive piece of tool. Maybe in a near future I would get one to build things for the Box, as Stefan did.
19137.jpg
The old and faithful Valmet tractor died in the middle of the orchard. It was showing some signs of tiredness since a while and the gearbox said abruptly: no more!

Following my advice and profiting of an incredible bargain, Eduardo bought a very nice fruit-dedicated 4x4 tractor with almost no use. It was very versatile and powerful and my brother in law was very happy with it. The season was about to begin and he needed the tractors to cope with the work.
19141.jpg
I had very scarse hours to work on the gearbox and I used them to clean the gears, covered with a sort of sticky and crusty oily lime pretty hard to get rid of, and removing the bearings that, of course, were strongly advised to be replaced even if they looked and worked fine according to me.

When I finished, the components of the cluster looked pretty good, not like new, of course, but ready to assemble, but I had to wait for the bearings that, on they turn, were quite difficult to find and, of course, pretty expensive for my taste. Anyways, I would never again argue with my brother in law when it came about steel.
19143.jpg
19145.jpg
19147.jpg
Talking about him, he spent a whole day washing, cleaning, changing fluids and making a few little repairs to the new tractor. His meticulousness was almost enerving, until I found myself cleaning for tenth time the gearbox to get it ready for the assembling, hmm… I wanted with all my heart and soul that this would be the last time.
19149.jpg
19151.jpg
At home, I asked Ramón the builder to make a mobile platform for the new air compressor, and he delivered a nice trolley, with a pretty practical handle. He worked a little for me and a little for Eduardo, as he was in charge of the building of his house too, sharing his time between the two ongoing projects.
19153.jpg
I also asked him to help me with the building of the steel subframe and the frame of the floor of the living Box of the Merkabah. He is pretty skilled at welding and maestro Chaleco became too old and was not keen on doing the job.

When would we have time to work together on it? We would see.

While Eduardo enjoyed his new tractor, trailing the atomizer sprayer with some sort of product good for the growing peach trees, I enjoyed to ride the WR450 in the field. My left knee protested a little at first, but I learned how to manage the step to keep on riding with no pain.
19155.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1173 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 19:43:47

As part of the original plan for the house, I got a 2.000 liter water tank as backup. There are pretty often shortages because of works on the water lines and we are in the middle of a very hard drought so better safe than sorry.
19157.jpg
And, finally, I decided to heat up the hot tub. I don’t know what I was really waiting for, probably I was too busy with regular work and domestic jobs and with the Merkabah that I had left the tub aside. Only the filter pump was working regularly.

I completed the connections and turned the heater on, and the system stood. After two solar days the tub reached 40º Celcius and it was really a pleasure to get into the water. Even more, since then it has become almost a necessity to get into the tub before going to sleep. I really enjoy it and Carmen got used of it pretty quickly too.
19159.jpg
You see that the deck was not finished, and still it is not, but Ramón have had no time to install the flooring and, frankly, it was secondary.

With renewed verve, that weekend I got the Yamaha and went to the mountain tracks that I like so much after quite a while. This time I did not went down thanks to the adequate traction of the new rear tire, and I enjoyed the ride like the teenager I was once and will never be again. The knees stood perfectly and I returned home covered in sweat but no dirt. Good.
19161.jpg
19163.jpg
Waiting for the new bearings to be delivered, I made some minor jobs like repairing the plug of the front winch remote control that unexpectedly broke a year ago. Fortunately it was just a plastic piece that was easily glued and reinforced but had to remove a lot of stuff to get it done.
19165.jpg
And, suddenly, spring was here. The plants and the trees bloomed everywhere and the south winds began to blow strongly. The dogs went out regularly with me for a walk and seemed to enjoy the season as much as I do.
19167.jpg
I took my holidays, starting the second week of September. I really, really needed them. Unfortunately it was no good time for travelling, so I decided to stay home and finish some domestic jobs and take care of the house and the Merkabah and other projects.

September is the month of the independence of our country, and our flag flew proud in front of our house, especially in these days when our identity and our history are in jeopardy.
19169.jpg
Ramón was charged, of course, with the task of building the platform for the water tank and, when he could, he began to cut and weld steel as if he was building a bunker inside the garage/shop.
19171.jpg
And, one day, the famous bearings arrived. Great. That same day another package arrived containing the third set of gaskets. I think it was the last set available.
19173.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1174 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 19:54:58

The race of the planetary gear carrier bearing was not exactly, exactly the same, but it was okay. I destroyed the old one but will skip the carnage for your comfort and show only the final result. It was hard to do it without damaging the planetary carrier so it is worth mention it.
19175.jpg
19177.jpg
I will also skip the process of assembling the whole planetary cluster and show only the joy when the process was complete. I checked and re-checked and re-re-checked the order and every aspect of the assembling before going on. This time it was definitive.
19179.jpg
When I finished, though, the portable winch was blocked at the bottom of the workshop by countless cars and pickups with no engine or no transmission. So, I could not complete the job and assemble the planetary housing that day, neither the next day, so I shrugged and went on with other stuff as I swore not to handle the planetary cluster nor the cover and mount them by hand ever again.

Ramón profited of a sale and got me another powergrinder, the fifth from the beginning of the project. The fourth one was still alive, but a bargain is a bargain.
19181.jpg
Waiting for life to go on, I had the idea of helping my back a little when servicing and working on the bikes, so I thought of building a motorcycle lifter. I looked around -meaning the internet- took some pieces of steel tubing from scrap and a long new one and the new powergrinder and made a lot of cuts and weldings and slowly some sort of structure began morphing. It was the second build in the new shop, being the first the battery rack. Maybe it is of no actual major relevance, but for me and my guts it is.
19183.jpg
19185.jpg
19187.jpg
And, one day, the portable winch was reachable, so I installed the new bearing in place, made sure everything was okay, hung the gear cluster and put it back in. Closed the housing with the covers held only by four or six bolts and made a test assisted by Eduardo.
19189.jpg
19191.jpg
There was a noticeable spill of oil when the mighty V8 came to life and the clutch was widthdrawn to test if the gears shifted properly, but there was no slipping and the gears engaged properly this time, both in low and high. Great.

I had, again, to stand the inevitable I told you Pairoa; what did I say, Pairoa; you owe me an asado, Pairoa; and so on ad nauseam. I was happy so it was easy.

After the appropriate rituals I took out the covers, again, cleaned the whole oily mess up for the eleventh time and then, carefully, applied the gaskets and the silicone gasket and proceeded with the final closing of the planetary housing. It was the fourth time, as Don Pato predicted months ago.
19193.jpg
When I finished it was already time to go home, have dinner, chat and laugh, and get into the hot tub until late at night. Ahh… it was a good friday.

pairospam
süchtig

#1175 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 21:24:10

That weekend I forgot about the Merkabah, leaving the fluid gasket to cure properly and the expectations to lower a little. If it did not work I would surely have a stroke.

I went on with the building of the lifter for the bikes and decided to make a test to see what the good things and the flaws of the design were. Eduardo gave me a hand, as always, and we put on Heidi to begin with the heaviest load the lifter would have to cope with.
19197.jpg
19199.jpg
There were obviously many errors and weaknesses, but they were all easy to improve. It was a good design all in all, and the GS was quite a challenge to handle.

I worked a few more hours on the improvements and then I went to other stuff and finished to install the drip irrigation system for the trees, the creeps and the flowers. More than a hundred drippers later my hands were on fire, nothing that a good hot bath with a gin & gin could not cure, though.

Next Monday, I was still worried for the result of the driving test of the Merkabah. Don Pato, Nico and Eduardo helped me to install the big and heavy diesel tank back on and then jumped in the cabin, just to make a fruitless attempt of cranking the engine. I made a selfie just to remind me to smile instead of having a worried grimace. Did not work.
19201.jpg
I primed the diesel injection pump and then the mighty V8 came again to life with its classic roar, gladly appeased by the muffler, also in place. There was a lot of smoke at the beginning, and the air pressure began to rise.
19203.jpg
All the vehicles that stood up in front of the truck were moved and I began with the maneuvering to take the Merkabah out of her almost eternal resting place, with a nasty aching of my left knee. I should put a servo clutch as soon as possible. I added pressure to the second axle suspension to alleviate drag on the rear axle.

Anyways, with a little patience and a lot of turns of the steering wheel the truck left the workshop again after many, many months. The gears already engaged pretty well going back and forth, and after a few meters on the street I noted clearly that it was much easier to drive the beast as the gearbox was completely different and I had not to fight with the shift lever each time I wanted to shift gears.

I did not check if the turning lights worked or the brake lights were okay, I just got in the middle of the traffic and pointed to my workplace. I had a bet to win.

When I arrived at the gate the guard looked at me from down bellow and waved me to get in without even lifting an eyebrow. Strange, but later on I was told that everyone at the place knew that Pairoa came in on a big and strange truck two minutes after my arrival.

It was late so the parking was half empty and had no problem to find a place to park. I called my colleague, who was in his watch, and he enjoyed the privilege of being the first stranger sitting in the passenger seat after restoring the truck. Now he believed.
19205.jpg
Going back to the shop was uneventful, luckily. Ah, and I was happy, finally.

I parked the Merkabah again at her place and talked to Eduardo about little issues. He and everybody were happy too. The truck was finally on his own.

Later on, with the body immersed in hot water and the head enjoying the wind and the freshness of the night of the country, I decided to take the Merkabah out of the shop for good and get her home. I still had to check a thousand things out and drive hundreds of kilometers before being ready, and having to move cars and trucks each time I wanted to take her out for I ride was very inconvenient.

So, the next day I went to the shop, checked if the lights were okay, started the V8 with pretty much less smoke than the previous day, let the air pressure build up and asked for some help with the traffic to get out to the street.

Ahh… that was nice. The engine sounded pretty well, shifting the 4th gear still had some issues but completely manageable, and everybody pointed at the truck with awe.

Everything was okay. There was obviously a mismatch between the real speed and the speedometer lecture, slower than what was felt in reality. I added and withdrawn pressure to the front suspension to check for changing in the attitude of the cabin… and then I reached 55 km/hr.

At that mark, there was a sudden resonance that made the whole cabin tremble. Crap.

What could it be? Unbalanced cardan shafts? Worn out differential crowns? I slowered down and the resonance subsided, but it appeared again at much lower speeds. Christ, what else!

I was midways from home so I went on and reached the country’s winding roads at the incredible speed of 35 km/hr. And, suddenly, the engine stopped.

Profited of the inertia and parked aside the road. Applied the parking brakes with a hiss and jumped down from the cabin. It surely had to be a fuel problem, as the mighty V8 would never let me down.

Shot a picture of the scene, jumped on the back, made sure that the lines were in the right position and primed again the fuel pump. There was a rubber portion that connected the tecalan line that feeded the pump and the fuel sender, and those were not their younger days, so there probably was aspiration of air instead of diesel and that was the problem. Eduardo had told me to replace them but obviously I forgot.
19207.jpg
The engine coughed a little but finally started. Yes, it was the fuel lines.

I arrived to the gate and the Merkabah faced her new home for the, what, third time? The dogs barked and jumped around as they were not aware it was me and they did not recognized the vehicle. When I went down to open the gate, they all shut up and looked surprised for an instant, before leaving their dirty front legs traces on the overall.
19209.jpg
It was a good entrance.

My neighbor showed me his thumbs up, too, and Ramón and his team helped me to keep the dogs inside while entering the piece of ground. Por fin! They shouted.

I parked the Merkabah under the container and, as previously measured, there was a three centimeter clearance between the roof hatch and the bottom of the container. No problem.
19211.jpg
19213.jpg
I checked out and found that the suspension bellies of the middle axle were still under pressure, ops, and that was probably the cause of the resonance. I thought that they put unbalanced tension on the axle so it, for some reason, resonated at higher speeds. Not to use when driving, at least not when the truck is unloaded.

During the next couple of days I shared my time between the Merkabah and the motorcycle lifter, moving the Merkabah back and forth and cheking for small items.
19215.jpg
I changed the rubber hoses of the fuel sender and made a little tour as the little kid with his new toy I was supposed to behave like and, obviously, the engine stalled again when I was a few kilometers away. The cavalry went to the rescue and found that I had inverted the fuel hoses and had the sender in the place of the return. I thought I had paid a lot of attention when doing it, but no.

Laughs apart, I had also to move the truck because of the high traffic of tractors and trucks related to the agricultural work and the building of Eduardo’s house next door.

pairospam
süchtig

#1176 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 21:31:02

It was irresistible to put both Spare II and the Merkabah together to compare them. I really like the taller and more powerful look of her.
19217.jpg
19219.jpg
The shed/workshop was still pretty crowded, but I could manage to at least get in with half of the truck to work sheltered from the sun, the famous San Felipe’s sun that was at the beginnings of the unbearability.
19221.jpg
Looked like the Merkabah was trying to hide from it too.
19223.jpg
One of the firsts items to address to was the air leakings. With more than one hundred air connections it was obvious that leaks were a clear and present danger, and there was a lot of places that hissed and the air pressure from the different circuits dropped pretty fast.

I checked the whole frame and the engine bay and found many leaking points, most of them solved by just applying a little more torque to the nuts. The problem was that there was a couple of leaks in the central console in the cabin. They were a real nightmare to fix because I had to take out the radio, disconnect half of the electrics and maneuver in between all the stuff to reach the leaking connections. Nothing that was not previewed, though, but a PITA the same. I did not take any pictures of the process because of the annoying feeling.
19225.jpg
At some point, the building of the pond finished and they opened the intake and the water began to pour in. It would take a couple of days to fill it completely. It was a very good moment for Eduardo and Carmen and all of us.
19227.jpg
I went to Santiago and picked up the wooden boards that were ordered a couple of weeks before for building the kitchen furniture. They were pretty well made and at some moment my father and I would work with them to finish the kitchen for good, hopefully soon.
19229.jpg
I made some trips to the workshop and took a lot of boxes where pieces, spares, tools and colorful garbage were stored. It was quite odd to see that the mechanicians and Eduardo and Carmen herself were missing the Merkabah, after all this time when they all wanted her to get out of the shop.

The last time the Merkabah visited the construction site she stepped, accidentally, on one of the working platforms of the scaffolds that were left around by the careless building personnel. The platform was dead and I asked Ramón the builder if I could use it for recycling purposes. Of course! he replied.
19231.jpg
I then applied the well known treatment of cutting, flattening, grinding and welding, and some useful piece began to show up. I worked under the sun, in plain air and wind to avoid the shop/shed to be filled with dust and paint and dust powder.
19233.jpg
And the pond finally was full. Eduardo worked with his new powerful toy and the shovel sleeve attachment to level the ground around it. My brother in law was really happy but also very busy taking care of the workshop, the building of the house, the building of the pond and the irrigation system and the harvest season ad portas.
19235.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1177 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-27 21:53:46

The recycled platform morphed into a very nice, light and strong ramp for the bikes to be serviced on the lift. I ketpt on working on the lift as I needed Eduardo to help me with the fine tunning of the Merkabah but, obviously, he had no time for us.
19239.jpg
Ramón built some very tough concrete bases for the containers and a few days later a big forklift placed them right where they would sit forever. They would be the building base for the shed/shop where trucks, tractors and all the tools and machinery for the agricultural work would be stored. Pian piano the big plan was taking shape.
19241.jpg
19243.jpg
I refined the design for the bike lift and worked a lot to get it done, using as always all the materials I had at hand, from scrap mostly. It proved to work pretty well so far though I needed a method that allowed me to place especially the bigger bikes on the lift and hold them securely enough to let me descend and apply the straps without risking of turning them over.
19245.jpg
But I also worked on the Merkabah. I decided to build a wooden tray to block the starter batteries in place. I got some pieces of plywood left over from the construction site and started to mark and cut.
19247.jpg
One of those nights, I was moving the Merkabah to allow the little tractor to get in the shed/shop and there was a blown up sound and the truck stopped shifting reverse. What?

I left the Merkabah right where she was and went to the tub. It was too much for that time of the night.

The morning after, I checked the front brake release valve and, as I supposed, found out that the air line blew up. I fixed the problem pretty easily even if I had to contort quite a bit in between all the stuff that was in the way, but that could not explain why the reverse was gone.
19249.jpg
19251.jpg
I crancked the engine again and made a few more tries. Nop, did not work.

Phoned Eduardo and he came early in the morning and we quickly analyzed the problem. Maybe some component inside the overhauled gearbox was gone loose and the reverse gear or forkshift was not doing properly its job. Take it easy, Pairoa, and think of probably having to open up again the gearbox.

Hmm…

Got the little Valtra from inside the shed/shop and towed the Merkabah away where she could eventually be easily approached with the crane to get the gearbox from above. I was not keen on thinking that I had screwed up something during the assembly of the gearbox, but recent history had proven me wrong many times.

We checked it all again, more calmly from the outside to inside, and we found that the bracket on the shift lever had slipped a few millimeters up. You haven’t tightened the bracket enough, Pairoa! we both screamed at the same time. I went to pick the phone from the cabin to immortalize the stupid error but Eduardo had fixed it already with an extra torque when I went back.

Of course, the truck shifted perfectly after. Eduardo mocked me for good and both he and Carmen laughed another lot at my expenses, so I laughed with them too and we had a very opiparous and relaxed breakfast.

And, because of the political situation in this long and straight country, things were becoming slowly hectic and the future was not the brightest we have ever thought about. Thus, it was time to speed up all the projects and to finish them to be ready for the foreseen difficulties ahead.

Did I mention that Eduardo and I bought some time ago a disassembled Nissan truck with a long bed? Well, we did, and for some good and bad reasons it was never assembled and fixed. It stood at the country for three years without any protection.

Next weekend, we both gathered to get it out from its nesting place and take it to the plot. Did not look good, but not too bad neither.
19253.jpg
We first had to attach the forklift to the little Valtra, a whole job on its own, and then we moved a lot of garbage that blocked the truck’s way out.
19255.jpg
The corpse of the Terrano was slowly rotting aside, but this time I had no feelings for her. Maybe I was finally cured.

Then, we attached the old and faithful John Deere and we slowly towed the truck a few blocks. Could not believe we were finally doing it.
19257.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1178 Beitrag von pairospam » 2021-10-28 5:19:06

When we arrived, we found out that the ill-fated Nissan also cleared the bottom of the container and it passed underneath with just a few centimeters left.
19259.jpg
There was a lot of work to do, especially to repair the cabin, but we agreed that I would just do the paint job and the repairing and the flattening would be done by a third party.
19261.jpg
I wanted to go on with the Merkabah and build the Box, but I needed to finish the house and also this delayed project, which was labeled as high priority as the Ford Cargo had been sold and we needed a functional truck.

Later that afternoon, I removed the last pieces that could be of use from Spare II. He would take the place of the Nissan at the junkyard/cattle as there was no more place around, and our terrain was beginning to look like a junkyard itself.
19263.jpg
Next morning, we were commited to disassemble the cabin, all of it, and get it ready for taking out for repairing. We worked hard but at midday Eduardo had to go to solve some isssues regarding his many other interests, so the disassembling finished a little later when I could, finally, remove the whole dashboard.
19265.jpg
19267.jpg
After lunch I went on with the building of the battery tray for the Merkabah, not to leave so many things unfinished. I worked out a way to firmly bolt the wooden tray to the metallic tray and then I began to sand the wooden pieces before painting and assembling them.
19299.jpg
I stopped when my hands were a little numb with the sanding and then shifted to another little task which was to make a little plug to hide the very visible bolt of the panelling of the right door pillar of the cabin.

I got my new hollow punch tool set from the bottom of the tool drawer and one of the broken panellings left from previous resuscitation works and began to strike and test and mold the small pieces of plastic. Pretty soon I realized that I was not very comfortable and was feeling increasingly tired and upset with no apparent reason.
19301.jpg
Enough, I said.

I left it all as it was, went out, made a series of very deep breaths and repeated: enough.

I had been busy working on different aspects of the house and the steel projects and I had forgotten that it was my holidays. I had not taken one day to relax since the beginning of them.

Went up in the cabin of the Merkabah and cranked the mighty V8. Got into the house and invited Carmen to go for a ride before the sunset. She hesitated at first, afraid of the idea of having to ask for help if the engine stalled once again, but I swore that it would not happen.

Once the brakes were released, she helped to take the Merkabah out containing the dogs at the gate and then she climbed up to her seat without any help. She was pretty excited.
19303.jpg
We went to a little town a few kilometers away to buy some goat cheese. The resonance started, as usual, at the 55 km/hr mark, and this time it felt like there was a crown wheel or a crown wheel bearig problem instead of a cardan shaft trouble.

I stayed under 50 km/hr, that seemed to be 60 or 65 m/hr, actually, and there was no problem, but it was a new challenge to face and to resolve. When would they end, ah?

Anyway, it was a very good trip. The level of noise inside the cabin was quite acceptable, even with the windows open. The seats were also very comfortable and the riding was a little abrupt but not annoying according to Carmen. The sitting position and inclination was the right one but the seat was a little too high for Carmen so she would need a supple on the floor to support her legs correctly.

I disconnected the stereo when fixing the air leaks in the center console so there was no music to make us company though we hardly stopped talking.

Chose a narrow winding road that follows the hillsides to go back home. I just wanted to activate the lockers and ride up the hills, but it was not the right moment. I had to fix the many issues that were still left to solve before stressing the Merkabah.

As usual, I pulled over and took a few pictures of the the truck and the valley. We were very happy. The Merkabah has happy too.
19305.jpg
On arrival, with the last sunlight, Eduardo was there, unloading a few wire netting rolls to keep them in the upper container, so I drove the truck to the side of the pond, just for the fun of it. Ah, she was made to ride on dirt and uneven terrain…
19307.jpg
Maybe there still was a lot of things to fix and finish, maybe I would not even be able to complete the project at all due to the present and the near future situation in Chile and the rest of the world but, even if that ends being the case, it was worth of all the efforts and expenses so far.
19309.jpg
Greetings from Chile.

Slarti
Schlammschipper

#1179 Beitrag von Slarti » 2021-10-28 20:52:46

Hi Parioa,

well-earned progress. :rock: :spiel:

And I wish you more fun with the rides of Merkabah. This is what you worked for anyway :cool:

Cheers, Hajo

a90
infiziert

#1180 Beitrag von a90 » 2021-11-16 0:28:08

Thanks for the update Parioa !

Integra
abgefahren

#1181 Beitrag von Integra » 2021-11-16 0:54:43

Hi Parioa,

i like your documentaries very much. Very interesting; and told with a lot of joy :wub:

What i like most is your test of how long you can drive with just six nuts on the right front wheel.
:joke:

Greetings from Hamburg!

Martin

(Just kidding :blume: )
Grüße Martin

Am Anfang war das Wort am.
————————————-
Watt mutt, datt mutt.

lura
Säule des Forums

#1182 Beitrag von lura » 2021-11-16 4:45:11

Hi Pairoa, I believe, You report about normal problems of the truck after long repair and refreshing time. I know many like this from my truck projects. Sometimes I forgot smiling.
Enjoy the trips, every kilometer make the truck run better.
Please read the thread of Felix here about his wheelproblem with a jumping cab at 55km/h.
Gruß
Bernd

Gewinne Zeit durch Langsamkeit

heiko16
neues Mitglied

#1183 Beitrag von heiko16 » 2021-11-21 16:02:50

Hi Pairoa,

I have followed your Merkabah epic for years now. What a story of passion and resilience. Great to see it coming together now. Enjoy, we enjoy it with you!

All the Best, Heiko

tooFATtoDRIVE
Selbstlenker

#1184 Beitrag von tooFATtoDRIVE » 2022-01-11 15:40:10

Hi Pairoa,

Happy New Year 2022!

What's the latest with your 2626 project?

pairospam
süchtig

#1185 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 5:15:19

Here I am, again:

Sorry for not answering sooner, tooFATtoDRIVE; hope it has all been okay with you and your own project.

Nothing crucial to report, but I wanted to write even if nothing spectacular has been done in the past few months regarding the Merkabah. Lots of things have happened, of course, and I wanted to share that with those who, hopefully, are interested.

It has been pretty busy and interesting times lately all around the globe, don’t you agree? Sooner it will get even more interesting, you will see.

The big drama I was (and currently I am) facing was being at the intersection of many building projects running at the same time. There was the house build that is always going on, and there were many items to conclude, like the electric system to be upgraded and the water backup to be installed; there was the building of the furniture that my father is still helping me with; there was the building of Eduardo’s house and the need to shelter tools and materials inside the shop/shed; there was obviously the Merkabah, who needed the differentials to be disassembled and serviced, the electric system finished, etc. Each item needed time and attention, and there was not enough of them.

The Merkabah, obviously, was put in the last place as the shop would be pretty much filled with the truck for who knows how long trying to fix the differential problem. So, I went on with the making of the furniture as long as my father was able to come home and give me a hand.

I would try to solve other minor issues while working on other less demanding stuff.

Fortunately, the irrigation pond became not only a nice place to contemplate the sunset from, but also my personal double-olympic swimming pool for a while, which helped a lot to keep the shape and the good mood. My left knee had not got better, as expected. Unfortunately the algae grew in masses and it turned out to be quite unpleasant to swim in green and smelly waters.

I completed the wooden battery box/tray and used some waterproofing paint knowing for sure it would not last for the next decade, and after applying at least five layers, I left it to dry for a few days.
19313.jpg
19315.jpg
Meanwhile, we took the generator to the shop/shed and unwrapped it to make a running test before installing it in the container next to the pond.
19317.jpg
It was an exciting moment, like with any gift you have to take the envelope from. It worked perfectly, the damn noisy machine, of course. The orchard would be irrigated as needed and we would have a pretty nice backup of 17 KVA in case of power outage. Good.
19319.jpg
Ramón the builder was quite busy with Eduardo’s house and had no time to complete the numerous little tasks left unfinished in our house, but that was the deal and there was a hurry for him to go on with that project. There was also the building of the steel base or chassis for the Box of the Merkabah that was left aside. As said, the times were quite interesting, and unstable.
19321.jpg
When the paint was cured, I assembled the battery tray and installed it. The fit was perfect and the batteries were pretty stable but I would have to build a proper cover to keep them out of the reach of the bad guys.
19323.jpg
As I was in the neighborhood, I profited to check for the air leak that came from the air dryer. There was a constant but faint hissing coming from the base of the first element. I had to borrow an ad hoc lever from the workshop and after quite a few tries and sweat the element went loose.

It was a sad vision. Both the element and the alluminium base were corroded and full of some sort of rust and filthy paste.
19325.jpg
19327.jpg
I checked the second element, not without a little more sweat, of course, and the damage was noticeable less. Anyways, the base was doomed.
19329.jpg
Cleaned it all up the best I could and put both the drying elements back in place using a little silicone gasket to help with the air tightening. Fortunately, it worked pretty well and the air leak was less important than before, but it leaked. I needed a new dryer, hmm…

After a few research, I found the store where I purchased the ruined dryer, and the price for the same item had doubled since then, some 550 euro. The seller at the phone suggested, with a not well disguised tint of irony, to ask for the same part from the Volvo dealer, or to look for a cheaper one at some re-re-reseller. I thanked him anyway and turned to other stuff, for the moment.

At the country, unaware of the costly problems that Pairoa’s project was constantly facing, the technification of the irrigation went on and many meters of tubing and wires were being buried among the peach trees. It was a very big deal and the excavators worked the whole day.
19331.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1186 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 5:25:13

That weekend I dedicated a few more hours to the bike elevator. The problem was to keep the big and heavy bikes stable while descending from them once you bring them on the elevator, stable and safe enough to apply the straps to definitively lock the bike in place. This was critical, especially for the GSs.

I tried to replicate a system that was very appealing but that turned to be a heavy and inconvenient piece of steel, difficult to implement and of uncertain effectiveness.
19332.jpg
So, I went on with another, simpler design and added the necessary modifications to make it work with all sort and sizes of front wheels, and it actually did.
19333.jpg
During that period I got a call from a friend in Germany asking me to help a couple of long time travellers marching towards Chile. Jaime and I aided them get the elusive Michelin XZL they wanted for their expedition truck. We were lucky to find the handful unique lot that there was in this country. Now they are sitting and waiting at home for their new owners to arrive.
19335.jpg
One day, after many, I finally got to finish the bike elevator for good, and I developed a simple and safe method to get the bikes on it on my own, without the risk of being crashed by the bikes rollover. Good.
19337.jpg
Eduardo and his team resurrected the old and broken Valmet tractor and it soon got to work again. It was just the last addition to the pieces of machinery that crowded the surroundings of the house.
19339.jpg
My father kept coming to work on the furniture during the labor days, and we finished the cabinet and the shelves for the laundry room. Simple, tough and reliable furniture, with many hands of waterproofing paint. That was it, and we used the Merkabah’s jack stands to help with the job of installing them.
19341.jpg
One afternoon, before sunset, I finally took my old man for a ride on the Merkabah. He was very pleased about how comfortable the riding was compared with his expectations, and the level of noise was quite acceptable according to him too. We went not too far nor too fast, but it was a good ride.

When we came back, there were too many cars and tractors and trucks around so the Merkabah was left to sleep under the stars instead of taking her place under the container.
19343.jpg
Next morning, I got her into the shop to work a little more in the central console. There was another air leak to fix, or perhaps one of the already fixed that got loose again.
19345.jpg
Anyway, I removed the lateral cover to have better access to the air and electric components and I found five or six spots where there were air leaks among the connections of both the tire inflation system and the air suspension. It was a PITA, of course, but I could fix them all.
19347.jpg
That same day, the solar guys came. The capacity of the system was not enough for the requirements, as seems to always happen. I had asked them to upgrade it to the maximum power that the inversor could handle.

They took some measurements and made an offer: for a few bucks they would take the “old” panels for a project of their own and replace them for new, more powerful ones, keeping the existing supports and just completing the amount of them to reach the capacity that the whole system could cope with. It was a deal.
19348.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1187 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 5:46:53

Next, I replaced the alternative relay sockets I had bought and installed long ago by the original ones taken from Spare II. They were far better in shape and quality despite their age.
19349.jpg
I had to remove and then relocate all the wirings, but it was worth the pain as I profited to remember what I had done and followed the diagrams drawn so many months, years ago.

Plugged all the relays and made a test to see if everything was okay but I realized that one of them warmed up more than I wanted. There was a problem.

I was going to get to the matter but a phone call from work took me out of it, so I removed all the relays and forgot about the issue until next time.

Next Monday my father arrived early and began the next phase: the kitchen furniture.

We had to work the granite countertops and the island and we knew there was going to be lots of dust floating around so we sealed the kitchen area in order to minimize the disaster. The sink of the laundry room would replace momentarily the already momentary sink of the kitchen and the dynamics of cooking and dishwashing would suffer a little for a couple of weeks.
19351.jpg
Guys, it was quite a job. We were both new to this, but we never imagined that it was so hard to cut, shape and polish the granite. My father had the most of it but we worked pretty hard to make everything fit and look like a real kitchen. Despite the masks we probably breathed half a ton of granite powder.
19353.jpg
19354.jpg
Once a week I cranked the mighty V8, built up air pressure and inflated the front tires as the Merkabah still had the leaking problem from the rim air valves and I had not found the appropriate replacements.

At some moment I remembered that I had not filled the tank since the truck left the workshop, a while ago, and the fuel gauge did not work properly. I had to go to buy a couple of diesel cans if I wanted not to have the Merkabah engine stall again. Would not look good.
19355.jpg
Instead of one week it took us ten days to finish the granite work. My father did the cutting and hard polishing and I was charged with the final polishing and the more intrincated details.

Maybe some of you can understand how badly I wanted to continue with the building of the expedition truck, the very core of all these pages, but there were many issues that impeded the project to go on as desired, but it was okay like that, and I trully believe it.

Some days I took the Merkabah for a short ride and addressed minor problems. Sometimes I took her out of the way to let a truck or some tractor to pass under the container just as an excuse to play a little with her, you know. What is the difference between a man and a child?
19357.jpg
At some point, we were done with the granite, and the kitchen was ready for the next stage: the cabinets. Good.
19358.jpg
The solar team delivered on time and after a couple days of working under the merciless sun of San Felipe and the Putaendo valley we had 8,3 kilowatts of solar energy available (at maximum incidence, with the panels shining clean, of course).

And so, there was no more usable surface left on the roof of the shop. They also fixed the connection between the inversor and the hot tub heater. Everything started to work fine, not perfect, but fine from then on, at least for a certain period of time.
19359.jpg
At a given moment, I left the inflation of the front left wheel for tomorrow, and for tomorrow, and so on. So, one morning, I went out and found, once again, that the tire had dismounted from the rim.

When I came back home I profited of the incident to check again if I could do something to fix the leak. I jacked the Merkabah up, like in the old times, under the attentive supervision of some of the dogs, and applied the manual wrench thing to unscrew the wheel nuts, fortunately not the ten of them but just six of the “testing” mode.
19360.jpg
19361.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1188 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 5:56:08

Unfortunately, a couple of them were worn out, and I do not know how or when. Another issue to deal with in the near future.
19365.jpg
I looked at the valve, tightened, caressed and cursed it in the hope that it will keep the air where it was intended to be. Then, in the afternoon, Jaime came with his mobile compressor and, again, helped me to mount and inflate the tire.
19367.jpg
This time it worked, though, and the pressure held, at least in that tire. The right side wheel still had some problems but I was not keen on taking the wheel out at that moment. There were so much things to work on in the house.

One important thing that still had to be installed in the kitchen to make it functional was the hood exhaust, and I put my hands on it. It was quite a job, even if we had it all prepared and the ceiling and the electrics were built with that in mind.
19371.jpg
My father helped, late at night, with the necessary though annoying exhaust hole in the middle of the roof.
19373.jpg
For a number of reasons the work on the hood had to be paused and I had to focus on the regular work for some time until it became human enough to let me think of a normal life again.

After a thorough research, meanwhile, I found the replacement for the air filter/dryer for a logic and affordable price. So, when I could I went to Santiago to get it. It was already time to replace the tires of the Africa Twin as they were in pretty bad condition after a long while, and the Karoo 3 were known because they do not last long, though their grip is outstanding.

Anyway, I profited the trip to get rid of them at a new dealer and took the long way back home with new shoes for the old and faithfull Honda and new lungs for the Merkabah.
19374.jpg
19375.jpg
Surprisingly, the double air dryer was not made in China but instead it was of a known make, manufactured in some old western Europe country. Good. And for a third of what the original Volvo piece costed at the official dealer. Better.
19377.jpg
To install it, though, I had to remove the batteries and the battery tray recently installed, which was a very annoying and hard task for the back.
19381.jpg
It was very good not to have the constant hissing of the air leaking through the rusted seals and having the air pressure build up in half the time.

From then on, I always let the pressure go up until the purge valve acts and evacuate the moisture from the dryer before stopping the engine. Hope it helps to prevent it from rusting again.

That weekend I resumed the work on the hood and, after a lot of struggling, and the help from Eduardo and the gang, the hood was finally installed and working.
19383.jpg
Mr. Pairoa came in again next week and we began to work on the kitchen cabinets. Each piece of work would get us close to the excellence I wanted to reach when the time for making the furniture of the Merkabah came.
19385.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1189 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 6:12:54

19389.jpg
Due to the multiplication of the tasks asked Ramón the builder to accomplish, the building of Eduardo’s house went on at a very slow pace, though the quality of the work and the amount of steel and concrete poured so far gave it the name of “The bunker”.
19387.jpg
As a side note, I was invited to a ride by a really nice guy that had a group of friends, dirtbike enthousiasts, and who lives where I used to live when I was a child.
19391.jpg
19392.jpg
Really nice trip, pretty technical, with a great environment, but as I was not in my better days due to the lack of training and running despite some swimming, I started to feel fatigued and began to make mistakes and dropped the bike quite often and ended up exhausted, I mean really exhausted. Had to quit to get to the end of the trail and remained for half an hour trying to catch my breath. I am 55 now, so not a hint of shame, but it was quite an uncomfortable feeling not to be able to go on because of lack of physical strength.

The ride back was a pretty painful one, and I had to take it pretty calmly, and still dropped the bike a couple of times. The other guys, a couple of them professional riders, were very kind and comforted me with stories of younger riders getting hurt and exhausted as well doing the same tracks. Did not help a lot.
19393.jpg
The next day I took a long walk with the dogs amidst the peach trees. The harvest season was about to begin. I felt really better, though the bruise on my flanck reminded me of ancient and recent battles.
19394.jpg
As a result from the experience, I had to replace the hand guards, the clutch lever, clean the WR450 a little, flatten out the exhaust pipe cover and commit myself with a more demanding fitness routine. Next time I would do better.
19395.jpg
19396.jpg
Nothing more interesting happened for a while, just regular work,a lot of work.

My father endured with the craftmanship, building the cabinets, the doors and the drawers, and I worked with him as much as I could. A few weeks passed, plenty of events not related to the sweet and lazy life in the country and then, finally, the kitchen was finished.
19397.jpg
Carmen was very happy, and we were quite satisfied with the result.

A friend gave us three wooden stools that, though not as square as the whole design expected, fit in really well. Good.

If you think that working with granite is easy, please think it twice. But… it was worth the effort.

At a given moment, not so long ago, I went out to make a little ride on the Merkabah, not too far away. After a few kilometers with no incidents, I parked near the pond, again, and allowed the Merkabah to climb the dike effortlessly, just at idle. Damn, how bad I wanted to finish the restoration and fix the rear axle problem to begin to use and hard test the truck!
19398.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1190 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 6:22:26

19399.jpg
Well, I had things to do, anyways. Heidi was a little late for her service of the 35.000 km. It was a pleasure to work on her on the elevator, especially for my back.
19400.jpg
Ramón finally reached some target points on his list of duties and was momentarily free to give me a hand with the installation of the backup water tank. He and his people put the tank on its elevated platform and then installed and connected the hydropack pump. It worked pretty well though there were, of course, a few problems in the beginning. Nothing works properly the first time it seems, or, at least, in my case.
19401.jpg
19402.jpg
Every morning I had to deal with the vision of my backyard still crumpled with steel beams, trailers, tractors and trucks, something I was not expecting when planning to move to the country. Anyway, given the present situation in Chile, and around the globe I might say without a bit of uncertainty, it was safer to keep the equipment and materials near.
19403.jpg
The disassembly and resurrection of the green old Nissan truck was indefinitely paused because Eduardo and I did not find the time to work together, and that was the founding agreement. He was pretty busy with the agro work, including spraying the plants long past midnight, and I have this permanent crazy anti-schedule schedule.

The Ford Cargo was already sold to another guy, but Eduardo needed it for the harvest work and, also, the papers were still not in order, so I could not take it and go to Santiago to get the panels for the Box from the Casales. Neither I had a place to put the panels and assemble them as long as I was working with my father on the furniture, and still there was a lot of stuff in the shop/garage. So, it was, and still is a very sticky situation.

Anyway, the harvest time arrived and we were all involved in it, helping my brother-in-law to cope with the multiple tasks, as always.
19405.jpg
Mr. Pairoa showed up again and we began to build the furniture for Carmen’s workshop in the second floor. She needed a lot of place to keep all her stuff, and we were commited to deliver.
19406.jpg
The workshop was full of stuff, as previously said, and it seemed that it would be like that for the months to come.
19407.jpg
Looking for some stuff needed for the furniture, I stumbled on a few pieces on a little box that belonged to the footstep of the Merkabah, which I went crazy looking for not so long ago. That triggered something inside and I looked for the painting stuff that was sparse all over the place.
19409.jpg
I gathered the pieces of the snorkel, so long left in the oblivion, and prepared them for a little black polyurethane-based paint. That meant to get rid of a ton of dust and wood powder. Ramón’s little compressor was borrowed and the paint circus began.

Deva, the restless german sheperd, passed underneath the tube element and some of her furr was left, as a gift and a sign of her interest in the matter, stuck to the fresh paint. Hmm…
19411.jpg

pairospam
süchtig

#1191 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-02-24 6:31:35

The prefilter box, along with a couple of plastic pieces for the cabin, was also painted with a lot of hands of black paint. I could not find, though, the big metallic clamp that I had fabricated quite a long time ago.
19413.jpg
So, I had to take a rusted metal sheet from the surroundings and cut a “new” piece to make another clamp. Fortunately, one week before I found the clamps that fix the prefilter box to the water spout in another forgotten box inside another box.
19415.jpg
I let the paint cure for a few hours and then I mounted the elements to see how they fitted and how they looked. Good, of course.
19417.jpg
The clamp required a little more work and I had to make some adjustments but, all in all, the snorkel was finally in place. It was just a matter of will and mood.
19419.jpg
This is the reception comitee every time I come home. And there’s only ten of them in the picture.
19421.jpg
The Beast was finally 50.000 km old, and she deserved her oil and filter change too. As stated before, it is a delight to service the big bikes or to work on them at the correct height.
19423.jpg
There was another attempt of buying her, but the potential buyer did not show up. Carmen was very happy as she is very affectionate to that bike. Seems to be pretty much comfortable for the rear rider.

This last weekend we both felt simultaneously the will to go for a ride after many months of self-imposed ostracism and, accordingly, Carmen asked to go on the Beast.

We went a hundred kilometers away, along well known roads, and we came back by secondary unpaved roads crossing through valleys and mountain ranges that still have the magic of the rural and desertic lands that are, unfortunately, vanishing at a very fast pace. It was a very good ride.
19425.jpg
19427.jpg
One of the front blinkers of the Merkabah had fainted long ago and the plastic became translucid after so many years exposed directly to the sun of San Felipe in the workshop.

I looked for the original piece among the boxes collected from the shop and replaced the alternative piece with no problem. This is the reason why I keep everything: you never know when you are going to need it. That implies to have tons of boxes collecting dust, though.
19429.jpg
The truck looked right, again, and I continued to fix some little details here and there, waiting for the right moment to put my hands on the serious stuff and complete the whole restoration.
19431.jpg
More news at some moment in a near future.

Hope you are all right. The time is coming.

Pairoa

lura
Säule des Forums

#1192 Beitrag von lura » 2022-05-19 23:24:57

Hi Pairoa, the BMW GS is a very good bike. I drove the 1200 30-anniversary. The best I ever drove. Now I own a R850R. Nice too.
What does the Merkabah? Many little doings like new blinkers are good for the lorry.
Gruß
Bernd

tooFATtoDRIVE
Selbstlenker

#1193 Beitrag von tooFATtoDRIVE » 2022-07-31 11:57:29

Hi Pairoa, long time no hear. I hope all is well at your end. How is the 6x6 project progressing?

pairospam
süchtig

#1194 Beitrag von pairospam » 2022-08-04 0:47:17

Hello, tooFATtoDRIVE and lura:

Hope you and all the good girls and guys are okay.

Sorry for not being around for a while, but I have had nothing interesting to post about the Merkabah in the last few months. The house has got all my attention and it is an ongoing and neverending project on its own.

The truck runs from time to time, and it has begun to show problems due to the little use. Nothing crucial, just more work and more money, though.

There has been some developments and some interesting visits, but I will tell about them when the time for real updates comes.

Best regards from the other end of the world.

Pairoa
Merkabah subida.jpg

Madoxen
neues Mitglied

#1195 Beitrag von Madoxen » 2023-02-13 0:24:13

Hello Pairoa. I hope that life is treating you well and that you have managed to make some progress on your truck. I have been missing your updates and life storie but understand that life is busy and things like a forum can get put on a backburner.
Hope you and ur family are healthy and happy

Madoxen

pairospam
süchtig

#1196 Beitrag von pairospam » 2023-02-23 4:56:06

Hello, Madoxen:

Thanks for the vibes. Unfortunately the project is still paused due to the the complexity in which the house project has sunken in. Regular work has also been very demanding in terms of labor and time which has not helped the cause neither.

Anyway, even if it seems tough, as always, I am absolutely not quiting. Next week I will bring home the sandwich panels for the Box from the Casales and we will see what else can we do.

Greetings to all those who wander by.

Pairoa

HildeEVO
abgefahren

#1197 Beitrag von HildeEVO » 2023-02-23 8:05:27

Hi Pairoa,

you have my deepest respect. That you still have enough motivation for the project! Chapeau!

Chris
Die echten Abenteuer sind nicht im Kopf, sie sind da draußen!

Ve-ge'ta-ri-er <[ve-] m.; s-, -> Bed. i.d. Sprache der Indianer, schlechter Jäger

lura
Säule des Forums

#1198 Beitrag von lura » 2023-09-19 19:38:57

HelloPsiroa, did there something going on the cabin. I'm intrested in good news about :D
Gruß
Bernd

pairospam
süchtig

#1199 Beitrag von pairospam » 2023-09-20 15:04:10

Hello, Berdn:

Unfortunatelly there are no news to talk about. The poor Merkabah waits and waits.

It does not mean that I have lost interest, at all, but the focus has shifted and, for the most part, there is no place to work on her.

Do not know when I will go back to the project. Hopefully soon.

Best regards from the distant Chile.

Pairoa

lura
Säule des Forums

#1200 Beitrag von lura » 2023-09-21 13:58:51

Hello Pairoa, I know this Situation, sometimes it is like it is.
I hope and wish You can continue Your very interesting project soon.
Good luck
Gruß
Bernd

Antworten