Moderator: Moderatoren

Nachricht
Autor
pairospam
süchtig

Re: Mercedes 2626 AK 6x6

#991 Beitrag von pairospam » 2019-09-25 3:15:48

Hi again.

No… nothing pretty exciting. Just a few words and a few pictures. I liked the idea of reporting more often, and this way I am more aware of the different and quite numerous things still to do.

After struggling a little with time and steel I almost finished the base for the driver’s seat. Almost, because it is still uncomplete, like everything else.

Anyway, the old and miserable looking seat sat finally on its definitive position in the cabin. I got to place it almost at the perfect height and almost perfectly lined up with the steering wheel. Not as perfect as I would have liked, though, but it should work. Only after a few hundred kilometers of driving I would know for sure.

Bild

When I was satisfied enough with the driver’s seat I went to pick the passenger’s one among a ton of dust and dog’s hair at the very bottom of the working place.

It was pretty nasty but I disassembled it and soon started to take out the brackets that were useful to fix it to the floor of the Montero, its previous location.

Bild
Bild

When I bought the 4x4, some years ago, I repaired this seat and gave it a little love and care treatment. Thanks to that it was in far better condition than its twin.

The central rail was taken out and prepared for stretching, which I did using the classical method: piece of rusted metal, carefull revival of steel, grinding and cutting precisely and… voilà!

Bild

Well… no picture of that. Anyway, when I got to the shop one of those days I found that the front right wheel was flat, flat and dismounted from the ring. There was a leak coming from the tyre inflation valve base that I thought was fixed last time I changed the tyre, but fixing it required the tyre to be dismounted from the hub once again to tighten the valve.

Bild

Ah. No f…ing way! I said (or shouted?). I was absolutely not on the mood of taking out the wheel, at all. So, I cranked the engine and waited for the air pressure to raise. Then, Eduardo helped with a little amount of gasoline and a lighter to make that thing the guys who know their business do to inflate initialy the tyre to get the lips of the tyre to stick to the rim in a way that you can add pressure without loosing it by the gaps. No idea of the name of this procedure.

Soon as the fuel exploded and the tyre stuck to the rim I gently pushed the ad hoc Syegon CTIS control panel button and the air began to flow from the reservoirs of the Merkabah to the previously selected tyre through the rotating valve, for the first time.

Bild
Bild

It took almost two minutes to reach 95 psi, but from then on another couple of minutes to get to 100 psi. Nothing unexpected, of course, and from the total comfort of the inside of the cabin. Great.

pairospam
süchtig

#992 Beitrag von pairospam » 2019-09-25 3:23:33

Days passed and there was a lot of cars coming in and out the workshop, but the car of the ex wife of Franz, the air conditioning guy, still was waiting for some exotic and pretty expensive part quite difficult to find.

It was the only obstacle for the Merkabah as she needed that place to maneuver her way out. There were lots of others things to do so I did not pushed too hard on the subject and profited of the scarse time to go on with the new base for the passenger’s seat.

Bild

I had a lot of new steel to work with, so it was pretty straightforward. I didn’t use the new angle cutter, though, as it was far more comfortable and easy to work with the powergrinder and own hands. Think I am getting old.

Bild

One day, I got an excited mail from a local enthousiast and probably one of the greatest fans of the project. He had gotten a practically new 6x6 Beiben that some illuminated soul used to promote and sell sunglasses for some time and then left it in the oblivion.

Bild

He bought the truck and decided to stretch the cabin to accommodate his family at some workshop in Santiago. He asked for some advice regarding the building of the subframe and the relationship of it with the Box and the frame.

Bild
Bild

I was pretty happy to help him with my limited experience and hope his truck becomes a nice and reliable wohnmobile.

On my side, I went on with my solo commitment and dedicated a few hours to grinding and cutting and welding some steel. Christ… craftsmanship is always so slow! Or, at least, I am pretty slow at it.

Bild

Some sparks later, when there was no sun at sight already, I was finally able to place and test the fit of the passenger seat in situ.

The job was not finished, clearly, but it looked really good.

Bild

Once the skeletons of the bases were terminated and ready for paint I would take the seats to the tapestry guy for him to struggle on his own to resuscitate them.

That for now.

Greetings from Chile.

a90
infiziert

#993 Beitrag von a90 » 2019-09-28 22:48:00

Don't you have a (large) aircompressor in the shop Pairo ? I made a quick release air valve om my air system on the Mercedes to quickly fill the airsystem. Saves a lot of time and smoke/dust in the workshop. Just fill her up with air, start and drive outside the shed.

Does the 26262 has some kind of exhaust filtering / catalytic converter anyway? My LP doesn't have any at all, just a dirty diesel. I do however only fill her up with GTL Diesel, thats a special and very 'clean' form of diesel with no soot at all and almost no smell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_to_liquids

We can get it here in The Netherlands at some local gasstations and is often used in old diesel trucks, agriculture machines or boats. The old engine (OM355) in the Mercedes runs very nice on it.

Also, spring must be nearby now in Chille I guess. Hope to see some beautiful photo's !

tooFATtoDRIVE
infiziert

#994 Beitrag von tooFATtoDRIVE » 2019-09-29 16:13:47

pairospam hat geschrieben:
2019-09-25 3:23:33
... He had gotten a practically new 6x6 Beiben that some illuminated soul used to promote and sell sunglasses for some time and then left it in the oblivion.

Bild
Beiben must be a Chinese version of older Mercedes SK trucks, which is currently being produced there: http://www.beiben-trucks.com/products
First time I ever hear about them.

pairospam
süchtig

#995 Beitrag von pairospam » 2019-09-30 4:37:26

Hi, a90:

Unfortunately no, there is no big air compressor. I have made a few attempts to fill directly the air system of the Merkabah before, but the pressure given by the compressor at hand was simply not high enough.

The exhaust of the truck is pretty straightforward, just passing from the combustion chamber through the muffler on the way out. When warmed up there is almost no smoke, but when warming up there is a lot. There is an actual problem regarding the piston rings of at least one cylinder on the right side block of the mighty V8, we know that, and the only thing to do for now is to make the Merkabah run as much as possible.

The diesel fuel in Chile is probably the best in town, except for the brazilian one, probably, though it is not of optimum quality. Common rail engines (CRDI) have some troubles here because of that.

Filling up in the Netherlands with GTL is, at least, a little difficult, though.

Hi, tooFAT toDRIVE:

Yes, BEIBEN trucks are made in China. If I remember well, someone here opened a thread asking for information/showing them. Hope they are well made.

Wish you all a very good week.

Pairoa

Antworten