grosser Shelter

Moderator: Moderatoren

Nachricht
Autor
Feron
abgefahren

Re: grosser Shelter

#31 Beitrag von Feron » 2013-04-12 9:42:32

groentas hat geschrieben:I'm told that the Swizz armys problem is because the trucks are so easy to drive that the soldiers threat them as passenger cars.
People owning theyr owns don't do that, hance no big problems.
But there's always a risk that the truk is damaged when it leaves the army.
I have been driving heavy trucks before joining the army at age 20 (serving is compulsory in Switzerland) so I don't remember for sure which license was required for the Duro but IIRC the Duro drivers can't drive heavy army trucks while the opposite obviously applies but again I'm not 100% sure about that detail.
While handling errors can happen, the Duro is not well designed as military vehicle. Of course in the Swiss army we only drive rarely off-road so many won't even notice some of thze Duro's flaws.

Of course if you drive your own vehicle you'll be more careful but still.

With overrated, do you mean that the gross weight is to high?
I'll never be even close to that limit, probably stay 2 tons below it.
I meant that its performances and built quality are widely overestimated.

I'm aware that the truck suffer from missing cooling of the hydraulic oil.
Therfore everybody owning theyr own Duro mount an extra thermostatic oil cooler.
Any other design faults I would like to hear about.
I absolutely hated the Torsen lock, in serious terrain it was a pity. There are various other issues, especially also the fragile GRP cabin and othe body parts. Not even to mention that the wheelbase is ridiculously long compared to the diameter of the wheels.

IMO the Duro is too large to replace a Pinzgauer and too small to replace a 6 DM or a MAN KAT 4x4, so it's something like an exotic oddity in-between.
Also prices are too high, rather get a real truck like a KAT which is way better built, currently not expensive and its spare parts are easily available if you search. Or, if you want something smaller, the Unimog is still a better choice even if prices are IMO too high.

Duro spare parts are harder to find and some parts are expensive because it's an exotic vehicle (but there are various versions with engines from different manufacturers).

Antworten